cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Problems.

radiomen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with one customer, here is the issue.

Setup:

I have customer#1 with 2 LAN extensions (separate PVC’s) coming from a carrier xylan switch terminating on a 4006 switch on the same VLAN. The customer has 2 routers at their end and they are running HSRP on the LAN extension; everything works perfectly I can ping each router and the HSRP address as well.

Customer number#2 has one LAN extension coming from the same carrier Xylan switch terminating on the same 4006 with the same VLAN as customer #1.

Issue:

When I cross over the Xylan switch from the new customer#2 to the 4006, customer#1 HSRP address goes down, I can still ping each router for customer#1 but not the HSRP address.

As soon as I disconnect the LAN extension for customer#2 the HSRP starts working again for customer#1.

1. I tested customer#2 router on our network before delivery they where no problems what so ever with customer#1 HSRP.

2. I disable the router for customer#2 and as soon as I connect the carrier Xylan switch to our 4006 the same issue the HSRP goes down.

Note: I contact the carrier and they told me that their switches are configured properly in bridge mode. I tested this configuration using the same VLAN and the same settings etc etc, the only thing added now to the picture is the Xylan switch from the carrier.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Could be a duplicate IP configured somewhere on the 2nd XYlan switch.

Check the logging and the arp table on both routers to determine if this is the problem.

Regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card