Replies

HSRP: Same standby group, multiple subinterfaces - does this work

briansciarra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 5 vlans configured in a router-on-a-stick deployment

We use hsrp for failover

Question is, all 5 subinterfaces are in the same standby group, can I expect this to work correctly when I deploy or should I just create 5 standby groups?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

HSRP protocol traffic is always link-local so from a functionality perspective you don't need to use different standby groups.

However, many administrators like to use different groups for reasons of clarity in their configurations and also in troubleshooting because different standby groups create different virtual MAC-addresses for the active routers as well.

HTH

Rolf

[EDIT]:

Link: HSRP FAQ: Can I configure more than one standby group with the same group number?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

HSRP protocol traffic is always link-local so from a functionality perspective you don't need to use different standby groups.

However, many administrators like to use different groups for reasons of clarity in their configurations and also in troubleshooting because different standby groups create different virtual MAC-addresses for the active routers as well.

HTH

Rolf

[EDIT]:

Link: HSRP FAQ: Can I configure more than one standby group with the same group number?

Hello Fischer,

Could you please let me know, will it work for all the L3 Router & Switch models?

Hello,

Could you please let me know, will it work for all the L3 Router & Switch models?

As far as I know, yes.

Some older platforms/IOS may support only 16 different groups, but most should allow full ranges from 0 to 255 for HSRPv1 and, if applicable, from 0 to 4095 for HSRPv2.

Examples:

HSRP Group Limitation on Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches FAQ

HSRP Group Limitation on Catalyst 3550 FAQ

HTH
Rolf

In my current setup Cisco 3925 Router with IOS c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-3.M3.bin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card