Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP with static routes & OSPF redistribution

Jasonch518_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have 2 7206's with dot1q trunks. I have an HSRP gateway for an ethernet based service customer on VLAN 810 on the dot1q trunk. This customer has a static route for his LAN block.

I had a situation where the layer 2 trunk for the primary router went down, so HSRP swapped over properly, but I have the static routes in both routers, and I have OSPF redistribution on, so my downstream routers were seeing 2 paths in the OSPF table, and were load balancing, but one of the destinations was not valid because that HSRP interface was unavailable.

Is there a way to remove static route redistribution for some prefixes based on HSRP status?

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jason,

I would take a different approach:

why the first router hasn't stopped to redistribute the static route even if the lan or vlan failed ?

This can be the result of a route summarization on ASBR that hides the details of routes.

Another possible option is to use static routes with object tracking so that you can trace ip reachability of ip next hop.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

in this way the static route can be withdrawn if L3 reachability is lost.

The problem in a switched environment with static routing is this one if a there is an intermediate device that keeps up the link (I mean a LAN switch) the device cannot detect a remote failure until ARP entry is timed out.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card