cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

gusy i am very new to HSRP i have read some docos but if somecan kindly explain in simple language

what is default priority

what does prempt means

secondly do we have to use track interface.....how does it effect prempt or do we have to use it togather

Thanks guys

2 Replies 2

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Quroo,

HSRP is Hot Standby Routing Protocol. This is for redundant default gateway as simple as that.

When you configured HSRP on two routers which are acting as a DG for rest of LAN, in this scenario if one router (Active) goes faile and another router (Standby) will be active as the virtual IP will be same on both routers.

what is default priority?

It is 100

what does prempt means?

IP preempt command will do the standby router to become active router.

secondly do we have to use track interface.....how does it effect prempt or do we have to use it togather?

For both HSRP and MHSRP, you can use the tracking feature to adjust the Hot Standby priority of a router based on whether certain of the router's interfaces are available. When a tracked interface becomes unavailable, the HSRP priority of the router is decreased.

To configure tracking, use the standby track interface configuration command

Hope I cleared your doubts, please rate if it helps you.... :-)

Regards,

Naidu.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

gusy i am very new to HSRP i have read some docos but if somecan kindly explain in simple language

what is default priority

what does prempt means

secondly do we have to use track interface.....how does it effect prempt or do we have to use it togather

Thanks guys

Defualt prirority in HSRP group is 100 which is genrally used to elect the active router for the HSRP group,

The standby preempt command enables the Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) router with the highest priority to immediately become the active router.When a higher priority router preempts a lower priority       router, the router sends a Coup message. When a lower priority active router       receives a Coup message or a Hello message from an active, higher priority       router, the router changes to the Speak state and sends a resign message.

and for last question standby preempt command is needed in situations when you want an occurring state change of a tracked interface to cause a standby router to take over from the active router. For example, an active router tracks another interface and decrements its priority when that interface goes down. The standby router priority is now higher and it sees the state change in the hello packet priority field. If preempt is not configured, it cannot take over and failover does not occur.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card