Helpful
Replies

HWIC-1ADSL and 1841

Andrew Zenz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

As with this post,

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/789836#789836 I have an 1841 and want to install an HWIC-1ADSL.

I have tried the Software Tool mentioned but get awfully confused by the end result.

My 1841 show version is:

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(22)YB3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-22.YB3.bin"

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory.

Just wanting to know if the HWIC-1ADSL will work with this IOS?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it won't.  You need to use, a minimum of, 12.4(4)T.  Pay attention to the "T" train.

Go here.  Look at the left-hand column.

Click the 12.4 > 12.4T and choose for the IOS of your choice.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

I suppose the latest and greatest firmware would be the most appropriate, in the 12.4 range, eg 12.4.24T8(ED), would you agree?

I can't make that decision for you.  For me, I would.  Read the Release Notes so you'll know what open cavaets are still available.

When I speak to my supplier, they tell me that support for this device is discontinued and that it is no longer available for a new contract.

1841 is already End-of-Sale since 01 November 2010, however, you can try to get your vendor to download the IOS for you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it won't.  You need to use, a minimum of, 12.4(4)T.  Pay attention to the "T" train.

Go here.  Look at the left-hand column.

Click the 12.4 > 12.4T and choose for the IOS of your choice.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Wow, lightning response.

Thanks for your reply leolaohoo. 

I suppose the latest and greatest firmware would be the most appropriate, in the 12.4 range, eg 12.4.24T8(ED), would you agree?

When I try to download it, I am advised that I need a service contract.

When I speak to my supplier, they tell me that support for this device is discontinued and that it is no longer available for a new contract.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get an upgrade for my 1841?

I can't make that decision for you.  For me, I would.  Read the Release Notes so you'll know what open cavaets are still available.

1841 is already End-of-Sale since 01 November 2010, however, you can try to get your vendor to download the IOS for you.

Many thanks again for your assistance.

A second supplier has given the same spiel, it is a non supported device and they cannot give me a new support contract for it (they can extend or renew an existing contract).

I think that is stupid.  Just because it is no longer a supported device, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get a firmware upgrade for it, firmware that already exists.

IMO if it is an unsupported device, the firmware should be unlocked and free!

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks again leolaohoo.

I agree.

Thanks for the ratings.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card