Helpful
Replies

HWIC-2FE

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A query regarding HWIC-2FE.

I have 1841 router. It already 2 integrated fastethernet ports. IF I add HWIC-2FE then how many usable Fastethernet ports will be available for me. Is it 4?

I got an information that HWIC-2FE will only have one active Fastethernet port.

Thanks in advance

Aneesh Nair

4 Replies 4

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, with HWIC-2FE , you will be having 4 routed available ports. 2 routed ports for the HWIC-2FE and 2 Integrated FE ports.

HTH

Mohamed

Hi Mohammad.

kindly look at the link mentioned below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

This link says Maximum Number of Additional Layer 3 Fast Ethernet Ports is 1. So is it that I would only be able to use just 3 fastethernet ports at a time. Does this has anything to do with the IOS version.

That document may be wrong. It also repeats 1841 twice while probably it is inteded to list 1861 instead.

In any case, since the router is not able to switch that many ports in any case, it is probably more practical to use an external switch and VLANs.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The link says :

The HWIC-2FE will be supported in IOS releases12.4(15)T9, 12.4(20)T, 12.4(22)T and 12.4(24)T.

The reason I said 4 ports because the product describtion mentioned it as 2 layer-3 routed ports.

Please check:

https://apps.cisco.com/qtc/config/html/configureHomeGuest.html

Go to product family , choose 1800 series, go to 1841 router , then the detail option tab , it will list available/compatible HWICs and the describtion for each.

I am not too sure though if its IOS limitation, but the link says the minimum IOS releases for HWIC-2FE is:

12.4(15)T9, 12.4(20)T, 12.4(22)T and 12.4(24)T

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card