Views
Helpful
Replies

I have a question while reading cisco catalog

hmp
Level 1
Level 1

hello.

I'm newbie network engineer. nice to meet you everybody.

I have a question while reading Cisco catalog.

Can EIGRP Stub work without EIGRP protocol?

I don't know what this means.

I know it's a weird question, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could explain it.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello hmp,

the meaning of the table is the following:

EIGRP stub: this  means that the platform supports only EIGRP stub, that is it can be at access layer a leaf without other routers / multilayer switches behind it.

EIGRP: means full support of EIGRP that means the device can act as distribution or core layer and can perform routing for other devices behind it.

So you should read EIGRP stub as = subset of EIGRP full features tha allows the device to participate in dynamic routing but only as a leaf in the access layer.

This is typical of some low level Cisco multilayer switches with LAN base image.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Stub is a feature of EIGRP protocol and not a protocol. So without EIGRP, there's no EIGRP stub. When a router is a stub, it has no downstream routing neighbors. Just imagine a branch office router with only an upstream neighbor at the Datacenter or Head office.

Thank you so much, buddy

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello hmp,

the meaning of the table is the following:

EIGRP stub: this  means that the platform supports only EIGRP stub, that is it can be at access layer a leaf without other routers / multilayer switches behind it.

EIGRP: means full support of EIGRP that means the device can act as distribution or core layer and can perform routing for other devices behind it.

So you should read EIGRP stub as = subset of EIGRP full features tha allows the device to participate in dynamic routing but only as a leaf in the access layer.

This is typical of some low level Cisco multilayer switches with LAN base image.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you so much, buddy :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: