Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I looking some router for 2000 customers, for NAT

Hi, I looking some router 28xx series, with capability for NATing IP traffic from 2000-3000 clients, I think to take 2U size (2821 or 2851), I have 2811, please help, I do not know where to find this informacion...  :)

CCNA R&S, CCNA Security
9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Routers are actually sized my by their capacity to forward traffic, rather than the number of clients.

28xx series are end-of-life.  I've attached a Cisco whitepaper that recommends various ISRs for different usage situations.  (You can [roughly] also use this information with 28xx series - just find a listed, in the whitepaper, ISR with about the same PPS performance.)

Hi boys :) haha

Tnx for help ;) I got only that information, for 2000 clients, but I know  what want you to say :). I do not know hot to translate PPS to number of  clients, any help ?. We have 28xx, but if we must to buy 29xx, that is life :)

Which model of ASA, we have now only 600-700 clients? Plan is to buy some router/ASA  for using in next 4,5 years.

thank you :).

CCNA R&S, CCNA Security

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unfortunately, sizing per client depends on what/how the client uses a network.  It also tends to be non-linear, i.e. as number of clients increase, you often don't need as much bandwidth per client.

Also, to turn the question around, how much bandwidth were you going to provide on the "WAN" side?  You can size a router to support that.  Of course, whether you've provided the right amount of "WAN" bandwidth depends, again, on your client usage.

I think, now about 250mbps, but in future client can get  link about 1gbps, for now, they do not have a lot of clients. I know everything about you wrote,  but I do not have experience, I am now in company, I just start to work :). 

CCNA R&S, CCNA Security

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The document I provided covers ISRs that can handle 250 Mbps.  BTW, there's a "new" 4300 series that have models for that 250 Mbps too.

However, for 1 Gbps, your looking at either a 4431, the  4451-X or a low-end ASR 1K like the ASR 1001-X.  The nice thing about these routers, their performance can be upgraded, especially the ASR 1001-X.

Hi, we are looking some older, cheaper model :(, because that I asked for 28xx, or maybe 29xx....that client is very small company.

CCNA R&S, CCNA Security

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Well 28xx series are not going to handle 250 Mbps.  Even the fastest 29xx will struggle supporting that much bandwidth (assuming you actually want to use all of it).

What a 29xx can actually support is described in my first posting attachment.

A 7200 with a G1 or G2 can support 250 Mbps.

For older ISRs, you can refer to: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf ; (roughly divide max bandwidth by 4.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

You might also consider an ASA in line to handle the NAT translations.

thank you :)

CCNA R&S, CCNA Security
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card