Views
Helpful
Replies

IBGP router cannot ping IGP destinations

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Please find attached case scenario regarding injecting IGP routes into BGP.

When i tried to redistribute EIGRP routes into BGP, the redistribution was successful and router "Vail" can now ping EIGRP subnets. However, router "Aspen" which is an IBGP neighbor cannot ping EIGRP subnets even though they are shown in its bgp table. Although EIGRP routes are shown in Aspen's bgp table, next hop address is pointing to the serial interface of router Taos. I think it should point to Vail not Taos because the next hop of Aspen is Vail. Please note that synchronization is off.

As per the "Routing TCP/IP vol 2" statement, sync. must be disabled if i have fully meshed IBGP peers as sync. is useful only if i have internal IGP.

Configuration files are attached as well.

Please help.

Regards,

A.M.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

add this to Vail:

router bgp 100

neighbor 192.168.1.222 next-hop-self

Don't forget iBGP router doesn't change next-hop by default only eBGP does.

So using this command is one way to solve this problem.

show ip bgp on Vail will tell you this is not a best path route because the nex-hop is inaccessible and a sh ip route will tell you it is not in the routing table.

Once you have issued the command then output of those 2 show commands will mark prefix as best with a > sign and the next-hop will be in the RIB.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

add this to Vail:

router bgp 100

neighbor 192.168.1.222 next-hop-self

Don't forget iBGP router doesn't change next-hop by default only eBGP does.

So using this command is one way to solve this problem.

show ip bgp on Vail will tell you this is not a best path route because the nex-hop is inaccessible and a sh ip route will tell you it is not in the routing table.

Once you have issued the command then output of those 2 show commands will mark prefix as best with a > sign and the next-hop will be in the RIB.

Regards.

Alain.

Oh! i totally forgot to issue this command even though i studied it. Now i understand why the book didn't mention it in that case scenario because simply that case scenario talks about another topic.

I thank you so much for your help. it is, of course, working now.

Regards,

A.M.

Hi,

Don't forget to rate if it was helpful as it seems it was.

Regards.

Alain.

How can i rate? ... I thought accepting an answer is by itself considered a rate.

Hi,

you did it.

Regards.

Alain.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card