cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP routes from clients not to be affected by outbound route-maps?

EasonY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got below topology with RTA internally peered with RR1 and RR2 as client. RR1 and RR2 are normal iBGP peers.

QUESTION.png

I can see from RR1 the prefix received from RTA is as per below with 

RR1# show ip bgp ipv4 unicast nei 1.1.1.1 received-routes

Network Next Hop Metric LocPrf Weight Path
r>i 1.1.1.1/32 1.1.1.1 0 400 0 i

So I thought when RR1 reflects to route to RR2, the local-preference attribute will be affected by the outbound route-map configured between the two route-reflectors. I actually expected RR2 received the route from RR1 with local-preference reset to 100.

However when I check on RR2, the route 1.1.1.1/32 received from RR1 is still have local-preference unchanged.

RR2#show ip bgp ipv4 unicast neighbors 10.3.0.1 received-routes | inc 1.1.1.1
r i 1.1.1.1/32 1.1.1.1 0 400 0 i
RR2#

Would anyone be able to shed a bit light on this please? My question is if RR1 is reflecting a route from its client to an none-client peer, would local-preference attribute to be reset by the outbound route-map? Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I somewhere remember that there is an RFC (2796) that talks about path attributes on reflected routes. I can't recall if this is true for client AND non clients...

In addition, when a RR reflects a route, it should not modify the following path attributes: 

NEXT_HOP, AS_PATH, LOCAL_PREF, and MED.
Their modification could potential result in routing loops.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I somewhere remember that there is an RFC (2796) that talks about path attributes on reflected routes. I can't recall if this is true for client AND non clients...

In addition, when a RR reflects a route, it should not modify the following path attributes: 

NEXT_HOP, AS_PATH, LOCAL_PREF, and MED.
Their modification could potential result in routing loops.

Hi Georg,

I can see those external routes (RR1 received from other eBGP peers) reflected to RR2 with local-preference reset to 100 as per the outbound route-map instructed. This could be due to eBGP having a few other rules to avoid looping stuff.

Only the client routes reflected to RR2 still with local preference unchanged. 

Thanks very much for the explanation.

Regards

Eason

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card