Views
Helpful
Replies

ICL (OSLAN) over DLSw

robsinclair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to carry oslan traffic over dlsw? Will dlsw recognise the llc sap (54?) and forward frames?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No. dlsw only supports sna traffic. For all the rest, must use briging.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

I've posted another reply after seeing a working dlsw config - beats me :)

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Rob, unfortunately the answer is no - it would be useful if it did but it does not.

If you need to get VME OSI traffic across a network, you have two options. The most common method used is bridging, but that is at best inelegant!

Better would be to use ISO CLNS and ISIS. How large is the network, and what is the scale of the VME traffic? If there is not a lot to do, it could be possible to just have the one area and L1 route all the traffic.

The other common option is RFC1006 and encapsulate the VME traffic in IP.

Both the routing options (ISIS and RFC1006) will scale better than bridging.

Also be aware that you may alsp need 14 and fe as well as 54. IIRC 14 was predominantly 2900, 54 was S39 on, and fe when they realised about CLNS!

HiPaul,

Thanks for this detailed response. I've just today managed to get a copy of a working config which does seem to be using dlsw - it includes the statements dlsw allroute-sna and allroute-netbios but other than that it's basic. It seems to work is spite of the fact there's nothing anywhwere that says it should? It's fairly small scale so I guess I'll try it and change to bridging if necessary. Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card