cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ILPM-4 Blew up on a HWIC-4ESW-POE. Why?

NicP270591
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded my 2811 router with an AC-IP power supply, and installed a HWIC-4ESW-POE, with an Inline Power Daughter Card (ILPM-4) installed on the HWIC.

The second I turned the router's power on, there was a spark and a burning smell. Everything still works, except POE. Examining the card, I see it caused a circuit on the ILPM-4 motherboard to blow, and there is black residue everywhere. This is a Genuine Cisco power supply, I have no idea why it's done this.

Furthermore, when the power supply was first installed, it had so much electricity (and I know this is why the card got toasted) that touching the end of the console cable or an ethernet cable connected to the router, or even the router chassis, would cause you to get a small electric shock, like touching a mild electric fence. Clearly, the power supply I installed is "too-powerful", but it is a 2811-AC-IP and nothing should have caused this.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Nic.

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nic,

Well, one of the possible reasons is that the new power supply was defective. If you removed the supply and placed back the original one, did the hazardous condition disappear?

Another thing to verify is whether the chassis grounding wire is, for whatever reason, mistakenly having a contact with the hot wire in the plug. Some of the symptoms would suggest that (such as the chassis being energized).

Have you had any progress with this so far?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

We actually later swapped again to the AC-IP to troubleshoot, the issue seems to have stopped. The switch HWIC still works, but has no POE. We are waiting on a new POE board to arrive, so here's hoping it works. Very strange situation indeed! Will keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Nic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco