cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Im a noobie and need help with 1841 and wics please ?

mcbosher71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ...

I am totally new to the ciso smb devices like the 1841 etc and thought to upgrade my work router to the 1841 ( but it has 2 x wic adsl`s in it ) that i do not want as im trying to find out the wic i would need for this router to hook my network up to a RJ45 internet conection ( not adsl )

Ive not had much time to look around but i have managed a bit and this is the best place by far.

Please be gentle with me .. he he

Thanks in advance for your time.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You really have not explained what's your objective ?

View solution in original post

None, the 1841 has two Fasthernet ports, one connects to ISP, the other to your internal network.

However I recommend you don't try t configure the router by yourself as it is not a consumer device like home router, rather engage a professional consultant or certified cisco partner, that will save you much headache.

Hi Garry,

Threre's no FE0/2 port on a Cisco 1841. You could interchangeably use FE0/0 and FE0/1 ports either for your WAN or LAN connection. Also, are you sure this is for a broadband connection? AFAIK, it uses RJ11 port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Garry,

I get it now. Yes, RJ45 for both WAN and LAN connections. It's up to you how to assign the FE ports as mentioned.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You really have not explained what's your objective ?

Hi and thank you...

I want to use the router to handle the broadband connection which is on a rj45 connection not adsl but my router bought used has 2 x wic adsl cards and i know that i do not need them as i do not have adsl its a virgin connection.

So my question would be what wic do i need to get to replace the adsl wic`s to connect my rj45 broadband to the router ~?

Many thanks

None, the 1841 has two Fasthernet ports, one connects to ISP, the other to your internal network.

However I recommend you don't try t configure the router by yourself as it is not a consumer device like home router, rather engage a professional consultant or certified cisco partner, that will save you much headache.

Thank you for your help with this .. this is the beginning of the headache for me as its going to be a long slog getting all the parts for me to start training @ home on cisco products and home study possibly towards ccna then ccnp etc.I suppose not having a lot of time untill a few months away i thought i would ask the pro`s like you to kick start me a little.

Does it matter which port is used for the internet and the lan .. FE/01 or FE/02 ?

Thanks again for giving your time to this.

Hi Garry,

Threre's no FE0/2 port on a Cisco 1841. You could interchangeably use FE0/0 and FE0/1 ports either for your WAN or LAN connection. Also, are you sure this is for a broadband connection? AFAIK, it uses RJ11 port.

Hi,

thanks for the correction on that .. it is infact 0/0 and 0/1 as you state, and as far as the connectors go i thought it was rj45 for lan connections ?

I thought it was the adsl that is rj11 .. the same you use for your modems etc ?

And on the broadband question .. yes it is 10Mb and its a lan connection from my cable modem that i want to connect to my router which is going to fit no issues but is it in 0/0 or 0/1 for internet to connect and internal lan on the other port ?

many thanks for your time

Hi Garry,

I get it now. Yes, RJ45 for both WAN and LAN connections. It's up to you how to assign the FE ports as mentioned.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card