Views
Helpful
Replies

Impossible to remove file in ROMMON - ISR4331 no command available

NicolasDemonty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we are facing a memory issue and the bootflash: is totally full. Therefore the ISR4331 running on version 16.12.6 is rebooting in a loop. 

From rommon I'm not able to clean flash: as there isn't any commany "del" "delete" "erase" "format" or even "xmodem". This is also not an option to unmount the device and remove any hardware.

Does anyone have any idea how files can be deleted from ROMMON ?

thanks in advance

20 Replies 20

Hi,

thanks for your replies but to answer posts that suggest to delete files, again, this is the topic here : I can't delete anything because :

1. I'm not able to boot the IOS

2. I'm in ROMMON

3. There isn't any command in the ROMMON to delete anything

To answer other questions :

- I'm not upgrading, version 17.3.4 is only there because we planned to upgrade but in a few weeks. So currently no upgrade process.

- In the meantime I modified the confreg to boot with diagnostic and I can see that the reboot in a loop is caused by something else (CPP driver fault as shown below). Therefore as the device has rebooted in a loop during days, all core files have saturated the flash. This saturation is therefore not the cause of the boot loop but the consequence.

%PMAN-5-EXITACTION: F0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting: Critical process cpp_driver fault on fp_0_0 (rc=134)

However to come back to the initial topic of this post ("no delete command in ROMMON"), we also checked on a working 4431 device with last version of ROMMOM 16.12(2r) and this is the same issue : no delete command.

@NicolasDemonty wrote:

%PMAN-5-EXITACTION: F0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting: Critical process cpp_driver fault on fp_0_0 (rc=134)

Yes, I totally "forgot" about the "delete" commands being missing.  It is a ROMMON bug. 

Can I see the entire boot-up process? 

The error you found points to CSCvg43408. 

@NicolasDemonty wrote:

I'm not upgrading, version 17.3.4 is only there because we planned to upgrade but in a few weeks. So currently no upgrade process.

Somewhat "off-topic": 17.3.4 has been removed from being downloaded.  This has been replaced with 17.3.4a.  I recommend someone look into updating that file.  

JPT1456
Level 1
Level 1

@NicolasDemonty 

I had that same issue and we were able to 

partial factory reset 

doing this freed up enough space to boot to OS maybe this will help you 

First switch off your router.

Then, switch on your router and within the first 20 seconds of startup send a break character to the terminal.

Windows OS – If you are using PuTTY, on your keyboard press Ctrl + Break buttons at the same time; or you right click on the bar at the top of the PuTTY window and select Special Command > Break.

Mac OS – If you are using terminal, on your keyboard press Control + A, then Control + B.

You may also refer to the Cisco page on Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations when Recover Password.

Next, You will immediately be taken to the prompt.

After that, at the prompt, type the following command to tell the Cisco router to skip the existing configuration or settings on startup: confreg 0x2142.

Then, at the prompt, type the following command to restart the Cisco router: reset.

The router will restart shortly.

Next, If you are prompted for initial configuration dialogue, type no.

Then, After the loading has stopped, press Return to be taken to the main prompt on screen.

After the first reboot we got the same not enough storage but then it rebooted again and booted to the OS

ambiusmc
Level 1
Level 1

Would really appreciate some support here. I am having the exact same issues. I have tried booting from tftp server, USB drive, and from different confreg situations. After image verification and starting to load the memory errors appear and it goest back to initializing hardware.

Hi

In my case this was an hardware issue that caused the looping reboot. RMA, no other choice. However in ROMMON the command to remove any file doesn't exist anymore.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card