cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input rate and output rate | Internet speed

yurs
Level 1
Level 1

I have 12 Mbps internet connection in my Office. ISP is connected through my Cisco Router 2911. I have check my client internet usage They are not using more than 8 Mbps but still internet speed is slow. When i check the router WAN interface which gig 0/0. its input rate is 12 mbps (This rate is converted into mbps from bits/sec) and output rate is about 3 Mbps (This rate is also converted into  mbps from bits/sec). I think this an issue because input rate is 12 Mbps but output rate is 3 Mbps what is the matter? Is this a problem or there is another issue?

Kindly Guide me, below is how our internet is being used?

I have 3 Unifi APs connected with Cisco Switch 2960 this 2960 switch is connected with Cisco router 2911 and this 2911 router is connected with WAN/ISP. 

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Hello,

is the 2911 the edge device, or is there an ISP modem going into the router ?

The interface statistics are really not very reliable, as they represent an average (with a snapshot being taken every 30 seconds at minimum). Do you actually see congestion on the interface (show interfaces x, where 'x' is the WAN interface) ?

You could configure a simple QoS shaper as below:

policy-map SHAPE_12MB
class class-default
shape average 12000000
fair-queue
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description WAN Link
service-policy output SHAPE_12MB

Yes, My router is Connected to an ISP mode. 

I have check the network usage using solar wind real time usage vis SNMP. It show my office network choking the internet it using more bandwidth then 12 Mbps (It using about 1.5 Mbps more). 

So here is what should i do. If apply your suggested configuration on router WAN interface then my router could not us 12 Mbps and in result internet will get slow then usual. 

I need suggestion what should i do in this kind of situation.

Thanks for your reply and time! 

Hello Yurs,

the configuration proposed by Georg applies to the outbound direction in your router that is the upstream direction where you have only  3 Mbps of traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

i have applied your suggest configuration on my Router WAN Link. today i will test it. I hope it will work.

Thanks for your help! 
I will rate it as help as my problem will solved by it.

Thanks again!

It did not solve my issue>???

Hello Yurs,

your issue is  in the downstream direction the shaper policy is applied outbound of your router in the upstream direction.

I have seen in another thread you have another additional Internet link.

You need to move some users = internal subnets on this second link to reduce load on this primary internet link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Yurs,

it is normal that upstream (to the internet ) traffic volume is lower then downstream (from the internet) one.

Because servers are on the internet and clients on your internal network.

For example with a single HTTP get packet sent to the internet on client web browser the server provides multiple packets that are the content of a web page that travel downstream.

So this asymmetry on traffic rates per direction is not an issue by itself.

In your case it is more likely that the downstream direction is using all the available bandwidth 12 Mbps and so some packets are delayed or dropped on the ISP router and user experience is that "Internet is slow".

Note: An high upstream speed is required by cloud based applications that use the internet link in a more symmetrical way then traditional web browsing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello

Is this internet traffic to/from a specific network application?
Do you have qos applied to the switch /router?
Is it slow on either wired/wireless users?
What the RTT from/to host on your network to a host on the wan is this the same on the lan?

Can you post the config of the switch and router

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are you sure your ISP allows 12 Mbps, for you, both up and down?

Assuming your ISP Internet connected interface offers more physical bandwidth then some logical limit imposed by your ISP, you'll want to shape your egress to the allowed rate (as already mentioned by Georg). What Georg has posted, I'm unsure will support FQ for the shaped traffic. It may, but if it doesn't you would change it to something like:

policy-map SHAPE_12MB
class class-default
shape average 12000000
service-policy FQ-child

policy-map FQ-child
class class-default
fair-queue
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description WAN Link
service-policy output SHAPE_12MB

The above's child policy would also allow you to have a more "complex" policy for how the shaped egress is managed.

Also BTW, on some versions of IOS, I believe I've noticed shaping, itself, appears to use FQ.

Also note, I'm unsure all versions of IOS account for L2 overhead. If yours does not, you can shape about 15% slower to account for "average" L2 overhead.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card