Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN routing - Layer 3 stwtch

Hi guys,

I am tryingto add a new VLAN on my C3560E Layer 3 switch for administration purpose.

My goal is to make this VLAN for administration only and to let the administrators from 172.17.1.1 connect to any host of the internal network 172.16.0.0 plus exit to the internet via the default gateway 172.16.1.245.

Here an extract of what done so far:

ip routing

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

vlan internal allocation policy ascending

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode access

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 30

switchport mode access

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 172.16.0.75 255.255.0.0

!

interface Vlan30

ip address 172.17.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

ip default-gateway 172.16.1.245

!

Output of show ip route:

Gateway of last resort is not set

172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C        172.16.0.0/16 is directly connected, Vlan1

L        172.16.0.75/32 is directly connected, Vlan1

172.17.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C        172.17.1.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan30

L        172.17.1.1/32 is directly connected, Vlan30

What happened is that:

1. The host connected to Vlan30 can correctly ping the interface it is connected to.

2, The internal network can access the internet

3. The host connected to VLAN30 cannot access the internet and cannot connect to any internal server.

Any suggestion? Do I have to add a static route?

This is a production envuironment and it is my first experiment with a layer3 switching in production, so I cannot mistake :-)

Thanks,

Dario Vanin

19 Replies 19

Hi Bidal,

Just a qusestion: does it mean that all the traffic coming from VLAN30 will then pass through the firewall? If so, that is not feasible as I will have then to make many vlans and that would mean to overload the Gbps cable betweek the switch and the Firewall...

Thanks,

Dario

Not all traffic will go thorough the FW, only Internet bound traffic from vlan 30. You do not need to create another vlan on the firewall. Just one route telling the firewall how to get to vlan 30.
Please make sure your FW has rules to accept traffic from this vlan.

Also from vlan 1 if you needed to get to vlan 30 this will go through the FW but you can block this with an ACL.

In my view it can only work this way in this particular case.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

All internet traffic will be going through that single Gig link anyway. You must have a lot of traffic to saturate that link.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

I was told that Layer3 switches could route the traffic internally. I am happy if the traffic destined to the internet to the internet are routed through the firewall but I can't get why all the traffic to the VLAN1 could not be routed internally...

By the way, the cable between the Switch and the firewall is not trunk, so it is not accepting encapsulated packets :-)

Yes you are correct, this is intervlan routing. BUT your problem is that your default gateway for vlan 1 is on the firewall, therefore you are not doing intervlan routing on the switch!

When you ping from a pc in vlan 1 to vlan 30 the default gateway for that PC is the firewall, so it sends the packets to the firewall, but your firewall does not know where vlan 30 is, so it drops the packet.

Whereas if you had the gateway set to be your switch, then your pc would send packets to the 3560, and IT would do the routing, this is the intervlan routing.

This is the only way to get pings going between vlans. Or a static route on the firewall which you'll need anyway!

The route on the firewall will also serve your Internet traffic for vlan 30 but will be routed back to your switch.

There are a few design problems in this scenario, hence we are using workarounds.

Hope that explains better

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card