Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface VLAN

Hello experts,

I had an below query which might be an easy question, but I am confused so kindly help me out.

CORE#sh ip ospf interface brief
Interface PID Area IP Address/Mask Cost State Nbrs F/C
Lo0 1 0 10.230.96.80/32 1 LOOP 0/0
Po30 1 10 10.232.138.130/30 1 DR 1/1
Vl10 1 10 10.230.97.1/26 10 DR 0/0
Po50 1 10 10.61.128.6/30 1 DR 1/1
Po40 1 10 10.61.128.2/30 1 DR 1/1

In the above output I am clear that the interface loopback, portchannel(combination of multiple link into single link).

But I am confused about vlan 10. As to my knowledge the L3 Vlan are logical int created to act as gateway for l2 vlan. Here how there is an physical link for vlan 10 that form neighborship.

please correct me wherever I am wrong in statement.

Regards,

Sathis

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

you could argue the same for the port channels, as they are logical ports as well.  what you are looking at is interfaces participating in OSPF. physical or not

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks `for responding. Let me explain my query briefly.
Eg: R1 and R2 are running ospf protocols.

1. consider ports gig1/2 and gig 1/3 are bundled using the port channel and the IP as 192.168.10.1. This is fine that the OPSF neighbor is formed using Portchannel.
2. like the same how the ports are configured as VLAN 10. As my understanding we can create the L2 Vlan by changing the switchport to access. But how the L3 VLAN int is connected from one router to another?

Hello

@SathishkumarSaravanan0348 wrote:
2. like the same how the ports are configured as VLAN 10. As my understanding we can create the L2 Vlan by changing the switchport to access. But how the L3 VLAN int is connected from one router to another?

The L3 vlan would have a L2 vlan equivalent and this would be associated to a physical connection which is either a trunk or access port that is interconnecting to the router/L3switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As you correctly note, a SVI is a L3 interface, and as such, it can be used to create a routing protocol relationship with another device. All that's required is the other device have a physical connection to the L2 VLAN. (For some examples, the other device might be a router with physical port connected to the SVI's VLAN or it might be another L3 switch, also with a SVI for the same VLAN. The latter could be done via an access port, or perhaps more commonly via trunk ports which support/carry that VLAN.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card