Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS update costs

turnermr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can you tell me if there is a cost associated with Updating from IOS 12.0 to 12.4 (without upgrading the feature sets)

thanks

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the contract that you have on the router and also on the image that you are upgrading to. For example if you are running basic image on your router and doesnot have any contract and you want to go for advance services image it will definately cost you a price.

If you have a Smartnet contact and have a CCO id and priviledges to download the IOS from Cisco then it will be a free upgrade. You just have to check if the IOS meets the DRAM and flash requirement on your router.

You can Check the feature that you are looking for your router

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

hi

thanks for that, what about if I am staying on a basic image and just want to update the versions?

is there a cost then

thanks

Should be free but it depends if you able to download the image from Cisco.

-amit singh

Amit

I think that your first answer was better. In the first answer you tied the update to having SmartNet contract. This answer almost implies that the upgrade is free without requiring SmartNet. I do not see anything that states clearly whether there is a SmartNet contract or not.

With a SmartNet contract upgrading versions within the same feature set is a free upgrade. Upgrading feature sets will involve some cost.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card