cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS XE/ASR 1004 Upgrade.

thapilot1
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASR1004 running an image prior to 3.10 and I'm trying to find the documentation to upgrade it to:

asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.16.01a.S.155-3.S1a-ext.bin

REDUNDANCY MODE NONE

I've looked at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/issu.html (all that I can find for upgrading the 1004 while other links reference it) and it states the following:

(...Cisco ASR 1004 Router) do not support ISSU upgrade or downgrade. Instead subpackage software upgrade is supported only if the router is running in subpackage mode.  If that's the case how does one confirm the router is running in subpackage mode with a code that, if I'm not mistaken, was loaded without the subpackages.  Also, what are the steps?

The problem I have is that the documentation has (new for me) steps that requires the extraction of packages from the file I posted above.  It's all for ISSU and I have one RP.  The current software running simply required the boot statement and that was it.

Is there documentation out there that I'm missing for the steps to upgrade a single RP from the pre 3.10 image to the 3.16 image (posted above) without the ISSU steps?

Thanks,

Andrew

2 Replies 2

julijime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrew,

Regarding your query on how to verify if your ASR is running in subpackage mode you can just do a "show version" and look for the line "System image file is" and you will confirm if its booting from a packages.conf file or a consolidated .bin file:

System image file is "bootflash:/IOS/packages.conf"

Regarding the upgrade, if you are not looking for an ISSU upgrade and just use the consolidated .bin image, you can use the following commands:

Router(config)# no boot system
Router(config)# boot system bootflash:asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.16.01a.S.155-3.S1a-ext.bin
Router(config)# end
Router# wr
Router# reload

Thanks for the reply!

It's definitely booting from a .bin file and not a .conf file.  I just wanted to make sure I did or didn't have to go through that process as I'm familiar with the commands you've provided.  The confusion came about also because of Table 5-1 in the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/issu.html

The consolidated package option is not supported for the 1004.  I suppose my confusion is with the term "package."

Regards,

Andrew

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card