Views
Helpful
Replies

IOSXR 6.1.3 InterAS option-C

aghufran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am testing InterAS option-C setup in eveNG lab using Cisco IOSXRv running code 6.1.3.

As part of the required configuration I am placing static routes on both the IOSXRv devices for each other, pointing out the connected interface. On one of the devices, if I use a next-hop IP address in the static route, I get bgp next-hop as inaccessible in the bgp ipv4 labeled-unicast table. 

So if place something like this:

router static
address-family ipv4 unicast
1.2.3.4/32 GigabitEthernet0/0/0/2.998 1.2.3.4

I get something like this:

RP/0/0/CPU0:lab-asbr-1#sh bgp ipv4 labeled-unicast a.b.c.d/32

BGP routing table entry for a.b.c.d/32

1.2.3.4 (inaccessible) from 1.2.3.4 (RTR-ID)

If, however I change the static route as follows:

router static
1.2.3.4/32 GigabitEthernet0/0/0/2.998

i.e. removing the next-hop IP address of 1.2.3.4, it does not show the next-hop as inaccessible in the bgp ipv4 labeled-unicast table.

Interesting, I am not getting this sort of behaviour on the other remote asbr device 1.2.3.4. 

Please advise.

Thanks,

Abid Ghufran

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @aghufran ,

The proper way to configure the static route is the second you mentioned.

router static
1.2.3.4/32 GigabitEthernet0/0/0/2.998

Note that this route is a static route and doesn't need to be in BGP.

Please refer to the following document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/multiprotocol-label-switching-mpls/mpls/200523-Configuration-and-Verification-of-Layer.html

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

As you suggested it works fine if I do not specify the next-hop IP address. However, what I find confusing is that there is another IOS-XR running the same code and there the format of static route, with a next-hop IP address works fine. So not sure why is there this difference in behaviour. But I guess it would require more of your time to delve into it and as its working, I will leave it for now. Plus this is a lab environment so will investigate it further later.

Thanks and regards,

Abid Ghufran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: