Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Helper

nathan_anan24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do we need to configure ip-helper in access switch when we already configure ip helper at core switch ? Can someone answer me on this ??

I appreciate your help guys.

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need ip helper configured on at least one device in each VLAN that does not have a DHCP server present in that VLAN - at least if you want clients to use DHCP.

Hi Philip,

You mean as long i have one ip helper in any of the access switch also will be alright is it ? sorry i'm still bit confused. 

You need an IP helper for each VLAN where there is no DHCP server present.

Core Sw COnfig 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ip default-gateway 10.1.3.241
int vlan 10
name Staff
ip address 10.1.3.1 255.255.255.0
ip-helper address 10.1.3.5
no shut
int vlan 100
name Guest
ip address 192.168.99.1 255.255.255.0
no shut

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Access Switch Config 

ip default-gateway 10.1.3.241
interface vlan 10
name Staff
ip address 10.3.3.11 255.255.255.0
no shut
vlan 100
name Guest
no shut

I had one core switch and 5 access switch which need to be configured end of this week. Do i need to do ip helper like this in access switch or i can jus configured only 1 in core switch. And also for ip default-gateway is it necessary to configured in access switch. 

jwillie3
Level 1
Level 1

The only place you need to configure the IP Helper command is on the SVI for the specific subnet that you want to provide DHCP services for.

From your scenario, I take it that you have the core switch and all the different subnets are created on the core.  Vlan10, Vlan20 etc.  The default gateway for each subnet would be created on the core.  On each interface configuration you would add the IP Helper statement.

Assuming the core has trunk ports connecting all the remote switches to the core switch.

As long as you ensure that the trunk between switches will allow each Vlan, all you need to do on the access switch is put an interface in the correct Vlan.

On each access layer switch, you do not need to create a layer 3 interface for each subnet.  You could, but I don't really see why.  All you need is a single IP (usually the Loopback0) for management.  Since the switches are all trunked to the core, the SVI that is setup on the core will handle the DHCP request and forward it where you want.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card