Views
Helpful
Replies

ip pim rp-address <access-list> override

jschweng
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have a three tier network with a centralized core switch and multitple distirbution swithces - all 6506 routers.

EAch dist switch is its own PIM SM domain and the RP so we never send multicast between the dist switches and through the core.

We are putting in a centralized server at the core switch which has to provide specific mcast < X Groups > to all servers at the dist level on all dist switches.

So we would like to define the RP <core rp ip>  just for the   <X groups> on the Core switch and tell all the distribution switch that the core is the RP for just the <XGroups>

If we put these commands on all the switches including the cores will that set the rp just fo the <XGroups> to the <core rp ip > ?

Do I have to define the deine an ACL for all groups if i define it for some or will groups not defined by the ACL defualt to the local RP?

do I have to put in the override command ? (We are using MSDP not autorp)

ip pim rp-address <distn rp ip>

ip pim rp-address <core rp ip> 99

ip access-list 99

permit <XGroups > mask

thank you in advance

1 Reply 1

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, I recently asked a similar question and had very good responses. I did a lab of it too.
You can see this thread here:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2212677

I used msdp for anycast and used ACLs to define which RP for which multicast group, and it works perfectly fine.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card