Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA and Object Tracking for default route on Nexus 7010

Hi,

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything relevant, but forgive me if this is a duplicate question already answered.  We have a Nexus 7010 running version 6.1(2). 

I'd like to use IP SLAs and object tracking to define static routes for specific source/destination traffic across some WAN links we have.  I've done this in IOS and it's worked fantastically, but I've not found where/how to do this on the Nexus 7010 platform (or any Nexus platform) as of yet.  I could have sworn that this was going to be introduced in the 6.x code?  Below is an example of how we do this in the IOS world:

track 11 ip sla 1 reachability

delay down 15 up 15

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 2.2.2.2 source-ip 1.1.1.1

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.2 track 11

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.3 254

Esentially this gives us the option of using a "failover" default route.  I've attached a basic diagram to help explain what we are trying to do with IP SLAs and object checking.  The tracking should be configured against an SLA that uses icmp and the static routes should be configured against the tracking.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.       

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

the good news is, there is an ip sla feature with udp-echo available since 6.1(1) and object tracking is available right from the start.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/IPSLA/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_IP_SLAs_Configuration_Guide_rel_6.x.html

However there is bad news as well: you can not track ip SLAs to date.

If you are one of those scripting and programming guys I'm sure you could tinker something with EEM, but out of the box I believe there is no possibility to do route selection based on sla reachability. While many features have been added lately, the N7k remains a true datacenter switch...

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bump

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

the good news is, there is an ip sla feature with udp-echo available since 6.1(1) and object tracking is available right from the start.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/IPSLA/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_IP_SLAs_Configuration_Guide_rel_6.x.html

However there is bad news as well: you can not track ip SLAs to date.

If you are one of those scripting and programming guys I'm sure you could tinker something with EEM, but out of the box I believe there is no possibility to do route selection based on sla reachability. While many features have been added lately, the N7k remains a true datacenter switch...

Regards

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Unfortunately the bad news outweights the good news in this case, but now that I know I can move on to finding other methods to accomplish what we need. 

Have the features been included to perform IP SLA tracking in any of the later versions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card