Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA design for VSAT Links

r5a5m5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We added following config to track VSAT links. But the problem is whenever VSAT bandwidth is FULL, track is getting failed automatically and automatically default route switching over to dialup.

Once the traffic is started to flow though dialup link VSAT bandwidth is coming to low and track will get success. Then default route is switching over to VSAT.

This happening again and agin. please guide me to resolve this track flapping issue.

SLA config :

ip sla 109

icmp-echo 172.16.0.1 source-interface Tunnel10

timeout 6000

frequency 10

ip sla schedule 109 life forever start-time now

Track config :

track 109 ip sla 109 reachability

route config :

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Tunnel10 track 109

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 tunnel5 50

"A good rating is as good or even better than a thank you, remember to rate the helpful posts "
3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Maybe you could shape traffic going over VSAT so bandwidth is never FULL.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

DRUK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I get this a lot too. What I did in the end was configure the IP SLA to use a TOS (Type of Service ) value. You configure it under the ip sla object itself. e.g.

ip sla 109

icmp-echo 172.16.0.1 source-interface Tunnel10

tos 184

timeout 6000

frequency 10

ip sla schedule 109 life forever start-time now

There is a matrix for TOS values and how it is respresented in DSCP etc. 184 is basically DSCP 46 or Expedited Forwarding. By setting the TOS value on the IP SLA packets it'll now get expeditited out of the router faster. Crucially of course you ALSO need to create a QOS framework on your router to manage the packets so that your SLA gets pushed out above all the others.

So a basic MQC might look like this (forgive me I'm writing this from my head). Basically I'll be permitting the SLA traffic 8kbps (which is more than enough) as priority traffic and then shaping all other traffic to 98% of the line rate. You'll need to set the correct 'bandwidth' statement under the interface facing the VSAT (i've suggested 2Mbps). I noticed you are using a tunnel interface in your statement so you'll also need to use the 'qos pre-classify' statement in that logical interface.

class-map SLA

match dscp ef

policy-map SHAPER

class SLA

priority 8

class class-default

shape average 98%

interface G0/0

service-policy output SHAPER

bandwidth 2048000

interface tu10

qos pre-classify

Hope this helps

Rich

Alteranitely if you do not want to configure qos to the router you can use to the static route a track with multiple sla.

So, the static route will removed if all the sla (so all the packets) fail on the same time.

You can achieve this if you configure a Tracked List and Boolean Expression.

A tracked list contains one or more objects. The Boolean expression enables two types of calculation by using either "and" or "or" operators.In your case you need to use "and" and as many sla as you think are needed in order to overcome your problem

You can find detailed examples to the next link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/fthsrptk.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card