cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA options to check on status of BT Frame Relay BGP neighbor

Nicholas Poole
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find a suitable IP SLA probe to run to test the availability of a WAN circuit.  The WAN circuit provided by BT uses FR encapsulation as a tail circuit into the BT 21CN MPLS network.  The IP SLA is tracked to instigate a static route change.  This has been fine with other Ethernet tail circuits on other router installs as I could PING the BT next hop on those, but with the FR tail I cant PING BT's next hop address, the PE router.  But the BGP neighbor is working.

As I cant PING I was thinking of using a tcp-connect IP SLA probe, on port 179, but this config just fails:

ip sla 9

tcp-connect 192.168.1.93 179 source-ip 192.168.1.94 control disable

threshold 3500

timeout 3500

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 9 life forever start-time now

IPSLA operation id: 9

Latest RTT: 0 milliseconds

Latest operation start time: 18:39:55 UTC Tue Nov 27 2012

Latest operation return code: Socket connect error

Number of successes: 0

Number of failures: 80

Operation time to live: Forever

Does anybody have any ideas on a) how this test can be fixed if it is broke, b) any alternate IP SLA probes to run in this scenario, c) any other ways to test next hop connectivity?

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

is this an eBGP neighbour not directly connected? Is there a BGP authentication ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

eBGP neighbour, not directly connected as the FR link is using ip unnumbered from a loop back address

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

in this case can you try with the source-interface option in the ip sla.

Regards.

Alain

there is a source port and IP as an option in the command, whcih i have used, but no source interface option i can see.  I also dont see why it woudl make any difference as the source IP is set to the correct IP of the loopback but happy to try it if that option is out there to try

Hi,

you're right I was thinking about the icmpecho operation but I reread your original post and saw you were having a source ip on same network as destination but you said these were non directly connected eBGP neighbours so why don't you use the update-source IP as source IP ?

Regards.

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card