Replies

ip sla track problem with static routes

cyr0nk0r1
Level 1
Level 1

IOS 12.2(33)SXI5

Cisco 6500 Sup 720

s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin

Every guide I read says this tracking ip sla stuff should be so easy.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/IP_SLA_Tracking_with_Configuration_Example

This doesn't work.

The commands I'm running are:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 4.2.2.2

timeout 500

threshold 200

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.255.2 100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.0.1.5 is my sonicwall for my primary site

10.0.255.2 is my 6500 at my secondary site going across a MetroE

This configuration does not work. If I add a third route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 (without the track 1 at the end)

internet works, but if I disconnect the internet my reachability goes down, but running a "show ip route" doesn't point my new gateway of last resort over to 10.0.255.2.

I'm not sure what I'm going wrong.

12 Replies 12

Hello All that stands out from your post is your sla statement. your floating statice and track statements seem fine. Provide a destination AND source address in you sla statement No ip sla 1 Ip sla 1 Icmp-echo 4.2.2.2 source-ip x.x.x.x Freq 5 Exit Ip sla schedule 1 start now life forever Res Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Apologies for the default formattting

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

cyr0nk0r1
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried that.

icmp-echo 4.2.2.2 source ip 10.0.1.1

(10.0.1.1 is vlan 1 of management ip of the 6500 I'm working on)

same problem.

If the default route that im trying to use (the one pointing to 10.0.1.5) has the track statement at the end of it, internet goes down for all my clients.

I am not clear whether the problem here is that track and ip sla are not working or whether it is that your backup static default route is not working. Perhaps you can clarify.?

The output of show commands for  track and ip sla might shed some light on the issue. And the output of show ip route while you are having the problem might also be helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The problem is not the ip sla. Doing show ip sla track-table shows me that the tracking is working properly. The 6500 is pinging 4.2.2.2 and getting responses and showing the status as [ok].

The problem is the INTERNET for the clients.

Having only these 2 routes static defined

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.255.2 100

doesn't work. Having the "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 track 1" with the track 1 statement after it casues internet to fail for my clients behind the 6500.

Might be following, or some other bug -

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCsq45082

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCek79264

-Vishesh

Hello

do you have multiple paths to this destination and source if so then the  sla tracking won't kick in

as suggested by Richard what does the traciking and sla stats show.

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Vishesh Verma
Level 1
Level 1

Please have a look at the following post.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12052986/cisco-2900-dual-isp-failover-configuration

I'm not sure what you wanted me to gleen from that thread since you didn't provide any information.

However if you're suggesting that I have a permanent route

ip route 4.2.2.2 255.255.255.255 10.0.1.5 permanent

this doesn't solve the problem. Yes, pings to 4.2.2.2 still work from all my clients, but the rest of the internet is STILL down unless that third all zero's route to 10.0.1.5 without the track statement is there.

Please check and share the results of the show ip sla statistics and show track?

Check for the return code for ip sla and track state.

-Vishesh

cyr0nk0r1
Level 1
Level 1

Fixed by adding a third route with a higher admin cost.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 10 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.255.2 20

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.5 30

svansteensel
Level 1
Level 1

This is a long shot, but are you using NAT/PAT in your configuration? That might cause some issues with dual default route as well.

I also have "ip sla auto discovery" command in my config. Dont know if this is mandatory or maybe a default.

For all I see your IP SLA looks good, so it might be NAT or other routing protocols running that prevent failover of default route to 10.0.255.2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco