Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV Multicasting

sugatada9
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

did anyone of you worked on IPTV Mulicasting? If yes, can you please advice me the best multicasting protocol to use in IPTV environment?

4 Replies 4

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, I've been fortunate to do this recently.

In order for forum members to help you out, please be more specific in terms of your network infrastructure, devices used, routing protocols, source of the multicast.

I used IGMP v2 which is enabled by default on Cisco switches.

I used sparse mode on routed interface hops, between sites on WAN links.

I created MSDP peerings on the WAN end points so only one single stream across the WAN was sent to multiple end users,
Use of Anycast for RP redundancy.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

great to know that! I will come back to you on the network details. Did you work on OTT (over the top) implementation?

Hello, what do you mean by OTT? We're using Exterity IPTV devices at the headend where multicast is streamed, and the receivers are Exterity too.
The channels are using a multicast range, with one of the multicast address being used as the announcer of channels.

Are you going to multicast between sites or is this just for a particular building?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

ravikantt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

PIMv2 / IGMPv2 are best from configuration ease & administrative control point of view. Rest depends, if you have some specific thing to accomplish in your IPTV multicast enviroment & on your topology.

Share the with us your design style, & might suggest you something better.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: