Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 access-list to allow the OSPFv3 and EIGRP traffic and hello packets

Mehdi.a.majid1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can I configure IPV6 access-list to allow the OSPFv3 and EIGRP traffic and hello packets so that the neighbor relationship can be established without any problem?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You will want to permit any link-local address (fe80::/10) (or a specific subset of known routers), to the reserved multicast group addresses:

ff02::5     (OSPF All routers)
ff02::6     (OSPF All DRs)

ff02::a     (EIGRP Routers)

If you have configured neighbour statements then the IGP control packets will be unicast, so tweak the ACLs to suit.

Cheers,

Seb.

Hi ,

Thanks for replying,

Actually I was hoping that I could get an answer to be able to just input 1 permit line on IPv6 ACL to do so

Like what we can do to allow the RIP-NG hello packets to freely establish the neighbor relationship,

like : the line "  permit udp any any eq 521 sequence 21  "

but for OSPFv3 I had to use

permit ipv6 any host FF02::5 (191 matches) sequence 31

and

permit ipv6 host FE80::E95:D9FF:FEC5:F601 host FE80::E95:D9FF:FE4E:F500 (4 matches) sequence 71

So the question is that is there any just 1 single permit line which could do the job of the both line in OSPFv3 and EIGRP for each one ?!

R1(config-ipv6-acl)#do show ipv6 access-list
IPv6 access list from_HQ
    permit ipv6 host FEC0:DB8::11 any sequence 10
    permit udp any any eq 521 sequence 21
    permit ipv6 any host FF02::5 (191 matches) sequence 31
    permit ipv6 any host FF02::6 sequence 41
    permit ipv6 host FF02::5 any sequence 51
    permit ipv6 host FF02::6 any sequence 61
    permit ipv6 host FE80::E95:D9FF:FEC5:F601 host FE80::E95:D9FF:FE4E:F500 (4 matches) sequence71

thanks.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could use the following multicast range:

ff02::/124

Which covers the address ff02::0 – ff02::f  , so not totally specific and a bit ugly!

Arguably you could forget about using an ACL and use the inbuilt authentication provided by both OSPF and EIGRP.

Cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card