Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 config on Border Router ASR1001-X

claurie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I am an IPv6 newbie and I have a problem.

We have been using an ASR1001-X as our Border/Transit router successfully on IPv4 running eBGP and internally to L3 Switch using OSPF.

I have successful eBGP IPv6 session with ISP. I can ping public IPv6 DNS server from the Transit Router however, I cannot ping same server from the internal (OSPFv3) interface or the connected L3 Switch.

I have statically configured a default route ::/0 which is showing in the OSPFv3 Route Table. My layer 3 Switch has this route in it's OPSFv3 Route table and routes to the IPv6 addresses of the ISP connected interface and the ISP Peer.

IPv6 Unicast Routing is enabled on both devices,

However, I cannot ping the Transit Router IPv6 external int or the ISP Peer.

I have attached text file with the two relevant Interface configs as well as the BGP and OSPFv3 configs.

I am obviously missing something, somewhere in the Transit Router config and would greatly appreciate someone showing me where my error is?

Many Thanks in Advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> I have successful eBGP IPv6 session with ISP. I can ping public IPv6 DNS server from the Transit Router however, I cannot ping same

> server from the internal (OSPFv3) interface or the connected L3 Switch.

The reason you can't ping the public DNS server from your internal network is that you do not seem to be advertising your /32 (2406:xxxx/32) to the Internet. I see you use the following network statements to originate 2 /33.

network 2406:xxxx::/33
network 2406:xxxx:8000::/33

Do you have the corresponding routes in your routing table? If not the network statements will not work. It is common to simply have a corresponding static route pointing at the null0 interface. This should cause the two prefixes (/33) to be injected in the BGP table and advertised to you peer.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> I have successful eBGP IPv6 session with ISP. I can ping public IPv6 DNS server from the Transit Router however, I cannot ping same

> server from the internal (OSPFv3) interface or the connected L3 Switch.

The reason you can't ping the public DNS server from your internal network is that you do not seem to be advertising your /32 (2406:xxxx/32) to the Internet. I see you use the following network statements to originate 2 /33.

network 2406:xxxx::/33
network 2406:xxxx:8000::/33

Do you have the corresponding routes in your routing table? If not the network statements will not work. It is common to simply have a corresponding static route pointing at the null0 interface. This should cause the two prefixes (/33) to be injected in the BGP table and advertised to you peer.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Thank you! Problem fixed. I knew it would be something I was overlooking - we have the same config for our IPv4 Network addresses.

Thanks Again!!

Craig

You are very welcome Craig.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card