cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Implementation

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

I just deployed Microsofts direct access. Clients can get in no sweat, but with no internal v6 infrastructure we can't talk out to the clients.

So I'm going to get a couple thousand /64 addresses.

At this point we have a single internet connection, all of the branches are connected with mpls links. 

It will be fairly easy to get all the addresses pointed to the single head end. But what happens when I get approval for a second internet connection? Will the ISP use anycast to advertise both paths? I'm pretty lost here.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ideally the branches will be automatically and dynamically configured using something like DHCP prefix delegation.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-version-6-ipv6/113141-DHCPv6-00.html

It is unlikely one provider will advertise space belonging to another provider.

It is common for IPv6 machines to have multiple IPv6 addresses at the same time, and in your case, if you had two provider IPv6 address spaces then machines would end up with an IPv6 address from each provider.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ideally the branches will be automatically and dynamically configured using something like DHCP prefix delegation.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-version-6-ipv6/113141-DHCPv6-00.html

It is unlikely one provider will advertise space belonging to another provider.

It is common for IPv6 machines to have multiple IPv6 addresses at the same time, and in your case, if you had two provider IPv6 address spaces then machines would end up with an IPv6 address from each provider.

Thanks. I came to the conclusion we need to get the addresses from ARIN and peer with the ISP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: