cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipv6 policy routing on a 12410 running 12.0(32)SY?

andrew.webster
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Does anyone know if 12.0(32)SY code will ever support ipv6 policy routing?  I'm running 12.0(32)SY6 and on a 4GE-SFP-LC card in a 12410.  I looked for the 'ipv6 policy' command but it isn't there?  I tried 12.0(32)SY10 in the lab with the same result.

Maybe someone can tell me if ipv6 policy routing is ever going to be supported in 12.0(32)SY code?  Is there somewhere else I can look for information about what features will be included in future IOS versions?

thanks,

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrew,

according to feature navigator

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

search by feature, IPV6 Policy Based Routing, the most powerful platform supporting it is C7600 with RSP720 and MSFC4.

it should not be supported on standard sup720 and not supported on 12410 with any IOS image.

I'm afraid that here the maximum size of TCAM tables counts. IPv4 PBR can be implemented because involves 32 bits addresses.

the TCAM entry for IPV6 PBR would require at least  128 bits + 128 bits + 128 bits (next-hop).

Doing this in software is not an option on this kind of devices.

SW based routers like ISR support it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrew,

according to feature navigator

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

search by feature, IPV6 Policy Based Routing, the most powerful platform supporting it is C7600 with RSP720 and MSFC4.

it should not be supported on standard sup720 and not supported on 12410 with any IOS image.

I'm afraid that here the maximum size of TCAM tables counts. IPv4 PBR can be implemented because involves 32 bits addresses.

the TCAM entry for IPV6 PBR would require at least  128 bits + 128 bits + 128 bits (next-hop).

Doing this in software is not an option on this kind of devices.

SW based routers like ISR support it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi,

Thanks for the help.  I think this answers my question.

bye,

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card