Views
Helpful
Replies

Is this a config issue?

marman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I`ve had a frame-replay config working to a remote satellite location for over two years now, and on Monday it stopped working. This btw coincided with the tech at the location playing around with thier sat modem. Anyway, since then the modem has been replaced.

We are using a transmit pvc and a receive pvc, utilising the same interface offshore (tx and rx sub-intf) and different interfaces at our onshore location. When i ping through, i can see packets (although i get timed out) coming from offshore, but not being delivered offshore again through the transmit interface. The config below shows the serial interface in question:

ABZ_PIP#sh int s1/2

Serial1/2 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is M4T

Description: ** New satellite link to Aberdeen **

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 161/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, crc 16, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Restart-Delay is 0 secs

LMI DLCI 1023 LMI type is CISCO frame relay DTE

FR SVC disabled, LAPF state down

Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 30/0, interface br

Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:14:45

Input queue: 0/75/3/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output dro

Queueing strategy: dual fifo

Output queue: high size/max/dropped 0/256/0

Output queue: 0/128 (size/max)

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 1000 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

3 packets input, 49 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

4761979 input errors, 2678769 CRC, 0 frame, 4639 overrun, 0 i

2 abort

30 packets output, 9390 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

0 carrier transitions DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS

Note the high about of input errors and CRC errors - what would this indicate ??

I have put access-lists and ip accounting on and i can see traffic going into the transmit interace, but you`ll see that there is only 3 input packets at the far end, when i can see thousands !

I guess my question is, if after years, nothing has changed on the config, the routers have been rebooted before - why would this stop working - or could it be a WAN problem?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Too much of input errors and CRC error is not a good sign for a healthy connectivity.

Keeping those error counters in mind that too in just 15 Mins i feel better to check up the interface also the cables connecting the interface to the modem.

if u have a spare port free would suggest to mirror the config and try it out by connecting on that port.

Also if u have a spare cable do swap the cable and check.

regds

I have swapped the physical router offshore as well as changing the interfaces and get the same problem.

I`ll perhaps try the cable.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: