Helpful
Replies

ISDN BRI- Forcing b2 channel when B1 reaches its full capacity

Rachna Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can some one please advise.

I have a router running ISDN BRI connection, dial on demand (model 2811)

ISDN BRI has 2 channels, I am wanting to execute the command dialer load-threshold xxx either to use the second B channel if the first B channel reaches its full capacity. The confusion is with the rotary group? Can I not use this command without the rotary-group?  does the physical interface need to be configured as part of rotary group or the dialer interface? What is the use of rotary  group when already on ISDN I have 2 B channels.

BRI config:

interface BRI0/0/0
  bandwidth 64
 no ip address
 encapsulation ppp
 no ip mroute-cache
 dialer pool-member 1
 isdn switch-type basic-net3
 isdn point-to-point-setup
 ppp authentication chap
end

dialer interface config:

interface Dialer1
 bandwidth 64
 ip address x.x.x.x
 ip nat inside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 encapsulation ppp
 no ip mroute-cache
 ip ospf cost 30000
 dialer pool 1
 dialer remote-name abcdef
 dialer idle-timeout 300
 dialer string xxxxx
 dialer watch-group 30
 dialer-group 2
 no cdp enable
 ppp authentication chap
end

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as far as I recall, rotary groups are used for multiple physical BRI interfaces. In your case, with only one physical BRI, all you need is the two commands below:

ppp multilink
dialer load-threshold load [outbound | inbound | either]

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

as far as I recall, rotary groups are used for multiple physical BRI interfaces. In your case, with only one physical BRI, all you need is the two commands below:

ppp multilink
dialer load-threshold load [outbound | inbound | either]

Thank you Georg for answering.

Can I ask how do I verify if B1 B2 are in use.

Regards

Thanks I tested it with min threshold 1 and could see in debug both bri x/x/x:1 and : 2 were were connected

Hello,

the exec command 'show isdn status' tells you the status of the layers. In he 'Later 3 Status' section check for the line 'Number of available B-channels =', which gives you the number of B channels that are not being used. Keep in mind that this line might not appear until a call is connected.

I put the threshold minimum and pinged the dialer . At the same time did the debugs too.

I did the sh isdn active which showed me two calls out instead of one

Hello,

setting the dialer load-threshold to 1 immediately brings up both B channels. If you want to bring up the second only when the first one is fully utilized, use a value of 250 or higher...

I am using 255, that was done to test only

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card