Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP load balancing with BGP

rramlal
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I would like to find out if ISP load balancing can be accomplished using BGP? This is a multi-home topology with two ISPs connecting to two routers. These routers will be connected to a firewall cluster. The customer wants load balancing deployed using ratios with the different ISPs.

Please advise if this configuration is possible and please explain how?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Load sharing witnh BGP comes naturally but not with pre-set ratios or anything deterministic.

For that, use a load-blancing appliance.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your routers support OER/PfR, the can do outbound load balancing with different ratios per link.

JosephDoherty wrote:

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your routers support OER/PfR, the can do outbound load balancing with different ratios per link.

Unfortunately, it is a solution that that has not been much proven and even less adopted, so does not have meet the favor of the market, that instead uses dedicated appliances.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Unfortunately, it is a solution that that has not been much proven and even less adopted, so does not have meet the favor of the market, that instead uses dedicated appliances.

Yes, that's true but I believe that's mainly because other vendor appliances pre-date Cisco's OER/PfR.

There's much to be said for using the known solution, but if we only ever use what has been used, or what's been used, technology improvement might be slowed or more expensive than it otherwise needs to be.  Why I remember a time in networking when one could say "Who's/what's Cisco?"  Or even, "What's IP?"

I've used 3rd party appliances and I've also used OER/PfR.  I had found both to work.  Like much else, you look at your requirements and possible solutions.

I'm not recommending OER/PfR over an appliance, just noting it's a possible option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card