cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4000 ZBF, PBR, NAT on single in interface ?

kthned
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I have ISR 4451-x router running zone base firewall and NAT.  

Working setup 

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.54.23.254 interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0 description Internet ip address x.54.23.210 255.255.255.248 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nat outside ip verify unicast reverse-path zone-member security OUTSIDE negotiation auto ip virtual-reassembly ! interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1 description inside ip address 172.16.4.10 255.255.255.0 no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nat inside ip verify unicast reverse-path zone-member security INSIDE negotiation auto ip virtual-reassembly

During a change window we have to remove the default route due to some reason so I created a Policy base route to route traffic to int gi0/0/0

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.54.23.254

route-map internet deny 10 
        match ip address PrivateNet-rfc1918 ! send dest.address == RFC 1918 to global route table
route-map internet permit 20 
        match ip address ALL-internet ! send internet trafic to int gi0/0/0
        set ip next-hop x.54.23.209

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
           ip policy route-map internet

Just after applying PBR on inter gi0/0/1, we lost all TCP connctions but not UDP session

Half-open Sessions
Session ID 0x00667A6F (10.83.32.179:54761)=>(17.248.146.42:443) https SIS_OPENING
Created 00:00:10, Last heard 00
Bytes sent (initiator:responder) [0:0]

I can see th NAT was OK & UDP trafic had establish session. So the question is what happened to ZBF when PBR ticked over to control the traffic. is there any feature in compatibity ? 

5 Replies 5

Hello

Re-apply your default and remove the route-map stanza 10 and test again.

conf t

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.54.23.254
no route-map internet deny 10

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Actually as soon as i remove PBR from interface and added default route it work. but that is like going back to point zero. 

conf t

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.54.23.254
no route-map internet deny 10

not understand your point if I remove stanza 10 and add default route so it would be the same thing i both ways ? i.e. sending traffic to  x.54.23.254 by default gateway and PBR ?

Hello

if you just want everything to go via a different next hop then you DONT have to PBR you only need to change the default to route.

However I am assuming that you just want to PBR only specific hosts towards a different next hop address and not everything -If so then you'll need both the default route and the PBR next hop ip address

So the route-map only needs to match on the traffic that you want PBR and all other traffic will go via the default route

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hej Paul

yes I understand your point. Actually we move default gateway to another interface that is by default-originate from the ospf peer. I have implemented PBR many times so I have a good understanding on the PBR and default routing table. 

But here my question is why ZBF shows half open connections :( . WHY udp establish connection and why tcp half open.

I see the traffic traffic going outside and never returning

Again as soon as i remove PBR all TCP connection trafic work. Strange.

Hello

Looking at your configuration I dont at this time that the ZBFW is the issue, the next-hop address is in the same subnet and via the same outside interface than your previous default route -  Is the PBR next hop reachable.

What I do see is your not specifying the next hop for the rest of the traffic not captured by your route-map

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card