cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4221 can't enter global configuration mode

tbyers0
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased four brand new ISR4221 routers as part of an Academy lab set up. I can get them to boot fine, can enter user exec mode and privileged exec mode. However, when I try and enter global configuration mode, I get a command not supported error message. I also get that message if I issue a copy run start or erase startup config command. I am stuck at this point. I have worked with Cisco routers for 20 years and have never had any of them act this way. I have searched the blogs and the internet and cannot find a solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

39 Replies 39

Hello!

Could you share the updated link?

Hola!

Podrías actualizar link pls!

Link expired please share another link

I had the same problem with an ISR 4221. What i did and work is the following:

Enter Rommon and Change the config-register vlaue to 0x0 to ignore the boot variable configured in startup config 

rommon 1 > confreg 0x0

After that i did a reset

rommon 2 > reset

This will bring router into ROMMON mode once again. Now change the config-register value to 0x2102

rommon 3 > confreg 0x2102

and next i had the actual IOS.bin on a usb and boot from usb

rommon 4 > boot bootusbo:isr4400-universalk9_ias.16.09.02.SPA.bin

Router booted with that image and then i was able to enter global configuration mode and change the boot. Copy the ios image on Flash from usb and then change the boot

ROUTER(config)#boot system flash bootflash:isr4400-universalk9_ias.16.09.02.SPA.bin

After that save by issuing 

ROUTER#wr

Once the router restarts you will see that it loaded the new ios image and everything will work as should.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the description of how you got it to work. This may be helpful to other participants in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm still having difficult with gaining access to a 4221 router. I have upgraded to IOS as directed above, and when booting for the first time I can get to privileged exec mode etc., but if I reboot I am challenged for a username and password.  When I try the defaults of admin admin, I am getting a %Login invalid message.  Am I missing a step that will allow me to either set these credentials or disable them?  IOS used is isr4200-universalk9_ias.16.09.06.SPA.bin

If I am understanding correctly after initial boot up you were able to access privilege mode. But after a reboot you are no longer able to access privilege mode. You are prompted for a user name and password but the default no longer works. I believe that some versions of code on certain platforms implement a single use ID and password. When you login there is a message indicating that you should configure a new user ID and password, and after that initial session the default ID no longer works. I am guessing that you did not configure a new ID and password. If that is the case then I believe that you will need to use the password recovery procedure for this router.

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,  I now have a solution, and that is to use an earlier version of the IOS (16.06.08) as suggested elsewhere.  This version lets me login more than once and reconfigure.  I tried the password recovery procedure procedure but this only appears to work on the privileged exec password not the router ID and password.  I'm sure I set an ID and password initially ('cisco' and 'cisco' as it is for lab use only) but it never seemed to be accepted.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you have a solution. I am a bit surprised that a different version of code provides the solution. And surprised at this " the password recovery procedure procedure but this only appears to work on the privileged exec password not the router ID and password." I would expect that the password recovery procedure would have addressed both. But as long as you now have a solution that works the other things do not matter.

HTH

Rick

We bought 10 of these 4221 routers for our Cisco Networking Academy and they were all locked up like this.  Your instructions worked perfectly for me and I was able to upgrade them to 16.12.04.  

You can check my reply from 12/3/2019. That's what i did and manage to solve the problem. Hope it helps you.

Ihor Zaitsev
Level 1
Level 1

Just type:

controller mode disable

and answer "confirm" twice.

manuabra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am using ISR4400, after booting with IOS-XE, I still had the issue, below commands worked for me.

Router#controller-mode disable
Disabling controller mode will erase the nvram filesystem, remove all configuration files, and reload the box!
Ensure the BOOT variable points to a valid image
Continue? [confirm]
% Warning: Bootstrap config file needed for Day-0 boot is missing
Do you want to abort? (yes/[no]): yes
Router#

not a valid command on a 4221

We bought 104 of these to replace older 2911's when Cisco went to v7 - - and they have been nothing but a PITA - - wish we would have never changed.

Even with some of the earlier recommendations - we would still have routers randomly boot back into sd-wan mode.

Here is what I finally did that seems to stick;

Have a USB stick (with a 4gb partition as FAT32) and the IOS you want to use (I downgraded to 16.9.4)

Boot normally.

If it comes up in sd-wan mode (asks for login account) - use  admin / admin

router# pnpa service discovery stop

router# copy usb0:isr4200-universalk9_ias.16.09.04.SPA.bin bootflash:

router# config-transaction

router(config)# config-register 0x0

router(config)# commit

router(config)# end

router# reload 

rommon 1> dir bootflash (to make sure the file you copied earlier is being seen)

rommon 2> boot bootflash:isr4200-universalk9_ias.16.09.04.SPA.bin 

router# config terminal

router(config)# config-register 0x2102

router(config)# end

router# wr

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: