cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR G2s Trunk between Enhanced EtherSwitch modules?

Chris Normand
Level 1
Level 1

I've used enhanced Etherswitch modules before but never in the way I am thinking for a solution for a customer. 

They want a data center in a box solution so I am spec'ing out 1 3945 with UCS/CUCME/Unity/etc plus a 24 port PoE Etherswitch (

SM-ES3G-24-P)

For server redundancy, I am also putting in a 2921 router with a UCS blade and another 24 port PoE Etherswitch.

My question is this.  Can I build and SVI on both routers for say VLAN20 running HSRP and then trunk the 2 routers together using a port on the Etherswitches just like I could do if I had a couple of normal switches?  Or is this configuration not supported?

My goal is to try and design a solution using just the routers without purchasing separate external switches but the 2 Etherswitches in the router would need to be trunked and talk just like 2 external switches could.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

I didn't test, but I cannot think any reason why it won't work.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

I didn't test, but I cannot think any reason why it won't work.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Lei, thanks for the reply.  I agree in theory.  But more than once I've been in front of a customer doing an install for something that should work only to find out that in 1 document out of the 500 online, there is a single sentence that states that what I'm trying to do is unsupported and won't work.  Does anyone have any experience doing the above?

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: