Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR or ASR with more than 20 sfp port

liban.houssein
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We need to connect (fiber) a main HQ office to 16 branches for small app communication, and I'm looking for a router (ISR or ASR) with a lot of sfp port (module) for the HQ. I looked for the ASR 1002-HX and it is very expensive. 

The throughput is not that high and just need to support maximum of 1 Gbps.

For the branch I looked for the ISR 4221 or 4321, but for the HQ which is best suited an ISR with 24 sfp port or ASR (knowing it is very expensive).

My question: Can an ISR router has a 24 sfp port (if yes, which module is it )?

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are these small branches directly connected to HQ?

Yes,

Direct connection by fiber with 1 gpbs throughput.

Regards.

Actually we are getting a dark fiber pair for each connection to each branch.

If they are all dark fibre, why terminating into the router?

Yes, that is my primary choice but need a router with 24 or 48  sfp port.

Oh sorry, that is question. Where should we terminate them?

Terminate all the sites into a dedicated distribution switch. The distribution switch then connects to your router. The router then connects to your internet feed.

Hello,

I don't think the ISR 4000 has a module with 24 SFP ports. You can get 24 or 48 GigabitEthernet port modules with RJ-45 ports, but if you definitely need 24SFP ports, you are indeed looking at something like the ASR9K, which is expensive.

Since you say the throughput is low, why can't you just get a switch and uplink it to a router ?

Hi Georg,

You mean use the switch to connect the fiber cable and then put a router behind it?

I can then use a sub-interface on the router for each network.

Regards.

Hello,

either that, or use fiber to RJ-45 converters. You could then use the SM-X-ES3-24-P module and the ISR4351 or ISR4331.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card