cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4321 Support port-security?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

I am trying to look for tech docs on this and can't find anything. 

For my switchports on these ISRs, "switchport port-security..." on configured switchports is not an option. 

can configure access-lists 700+ for 48-bit MACs but then I can't apply a ACL 700 up to one of the switchport interface, only the other types of ACLs.

Bridge-group not supported either. Any help?

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, i do not believe that has support on ISR model (even though L2 Module can be supported by ISR Models) - that command more on Switch.

what is the use case here?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Normal use case for port-security, don't want it easy for a different node to be connected. Im wondering if I can work around this and use maybe MAC ACL or something?

Hello,

as far as I recall, on the EtherSwitch network interface modules, you can configure MAC address-based traffic blocking (see link below), that appears to be your only option.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/NIM/software/configuration/guide/4-8-port-ge-nim-guide.html#task_1096514

you can explore that option here - i have not tested, but you can try and let us know if that works for you.

mac access-list extended BB-MAC  ( you can do other way around, allow interesting MAC and deny rest)
deny host aaaa.bbbb.cccc any 
permit any any
!
interface gig x/x
mac access-group BB-MAC in

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

End  user nodes are patched to switch module/ports. 

Hello

Rtrs should not be exposed to end users nonchalantly plugging into them unlike switchports on switches would be also rtr ports are mostly L3 ports anyway so i guess that’s one of the reasons why L2 port-security isn’t applicable on rtrs - even when a switch module is installed

Now if your rtr is that exposed then would suggest some physical security.

As for applying mac address acl to active rtr/switch module ports then if L3 ports are proxying then you’ll encounter problems.

if you have a switch module then i guess they won’t be connecting to a single host but connected to a switch so again mac acl may not be applicable.

As for any rtr if the port(s) are not being used then shut it down 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The router has a switching module with actual end hosts attached to them and/or its utilized for plugging in workstations, etc. 

Looks like using a mac acl may be my best option for this.

Just out of curiosity, can you actually apply MAC ACLs to these ports ? I did not see that in the command reference...

Hello @Georg Pauwen 

Most probably be an arp acl

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The "mac address-table" syntex is not supported. Doesn't seem I have any options to create ACLs based on a MAC.

Actually it looks like access-list 700 is supported for 48-bit MAC. I am going to look into that.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card