Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4321 with DSL

Hello,

Can someone please help to setup ISR4321 with DSL (NIM-VAB-A) for internet connection?

I bought this router & DSL card for home use.

Cisco CCP Ver. 2.8 doesn't recognize the NIM-VAB-A controller.

Thanks,

Reuven

19 Replies 19

Hello Reuven

check out this configuration guide, it has sample configs as well:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/NIM/software/configuration/guide/vdsl2-and-adsl2-nim.html

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply and help!

I have reading this configuration guide several times, but I must to admit it is not completely clear to me and has no complete example.

This document has two relevant examples, as I understand:

PPPoA Configuration and PPPoEoA Configuration. I am not sure I understand completely the difference between both of them. Any advantage to any of them?

What is the meaning of the following commands:

pvc 22/62
 ubr 1045

Also, for the LAN interface (i.e. GigabitEthernet0/0/0, in my case), do I need also add the following command?

ip tcp adjust-mss 1412. (or maybe this command with other value?)

Thanks,

Reuven

Hello Reuven,

as far as I understand it, PPPoEoA is an encapsulation method that reduces bandwidth usage for PVCs. Traditionally, you would use PPPoA.

The pvc pair you configure must match on both sides. PVC (Permanent Virtual Circuit) consists of the virtual path identifier and the virtual channel identifier. 22/62 - 22 would be the VPI and 62 the VCI. When you say you have purchased the device for home use, does that mean you have a contained lab with no real connection to a provider ? If you DO have a provider, they will have to give the PVC numbers to you.

Ubr (Unspecified Bit Rate) is basically a service contract with the provider that guarantees quality of service for ATM networks.

For GigabitEthernet interfaces, the recommended value for 'ip tcp adjust-mss' is 1452.

HTH, let us know if you need more help.

Hello,

Thank you again for your prompt help!

I purchased this device for home,for normal use, to replace my current consumer router from D-Link. I am kind of tired having consumer equipment that requires reboot every few days and has performance bandwidth limitation...

I was planning to buy 8XX or 19xx series, but saw the recommendations about the 4xxxx platform...Hope it is not too much overkill...

I also purchased performance license for this router to open it for 100Mb bandwidth.

The license was installed successfully. I have VDSL2 connection to provider and I pay for 100Mb.

So as I understand from your explanations:

1. For PVC parameters (VPI and VCI) I need to get these numbers from the provider.

2. For UBR, if I have speed of 100Mb, what should be the number? do I need to ask it also from the provider?

3. For GigabitEthernet interface (LAN), I will add the command  'ip tcp adjust-mss 1452'.

BTW, what is the purpose of this command?

Thanks,

Reuven

Hello Reuven,

here is a list of VPI/VCI pairs used by known providers. No guarantees though, as the list has been updated in 2014...

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/adsl-vpi-vci-and-encapsulation-settings-2786

Regarding the ubr: for a 100MB circuit, the ubr should be 100000.

The ip tcp adjust-mss value of 1452 is recommended for Ethernet. Here is the official explanation:

the optimum value for the max-segment-size argument of the ip tcp adjust-mss command is 1452 bytes. This value plus the 20-byte IP header, the 20-byte TCP header, and the 8-byte PPPoE header add up to a 1500-byte packet that matches the MTU size for the Ethernet link.

Let us know if you have more questions. Once you know your provider (which country are you in by the way ?), we can offer more specific help...

Hello,

Thank you so much for your continuous help!

I am from Israel.

I called my internet provider and they delivered the VPI/VCI parameters as 8/48.

In the link you provided, same setup for PVC is listed.

As for the ubr: I tried the setup of 'ubr 100000' and got OS error message.

when checked in Cisco manual reference, it was saying that maximum value of 25000 can be set.

when I was talking with provider support they told for the speed I have 100Mbit (100mbit download; 3mbit upload), I need to setup PTM and not ATM.

Now I am completely lost...! didn't find anything for PTM setup.

below I listed the "show run" parts that I think are the relevant for router connection setup.

Can you please look and provide fix where is needed:

(my Cisco switch with all computers is connected to router interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0)

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.99
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.200 192.168.0.254
!
ip dhcp pool LAN
 import all
 network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
 dns-server 192.115.106.35 62.219.186.7
 default-router 192.168.0.200
!
!

!
controller VDSL 0/1/0
!
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 ip address 192.168.0.200 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
 media-type rj45
 negotiation auto
!

interface ATM0/1/0
 no ip address
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
!
interface ATM0/1/0.10 point-to-point
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
 cdp enable
 pvc 8/48
  ubr 1045 (need to change this value...)
  encapsulation aal5mux pppoe-client
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 120
 !
!
interface Ethernet0/1/0
 no ip address
 no negotiation auto
!

interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface Dialer120
 mtu 1452
 ip address negotiated
 ip nat outside
 encapsulation ppp
 load-interval 60
 dialer pool 120
 dialer-group 1
 ppp mtu adaptive
 ppp authentication chap pap callin
 ppp chap hostname username
 ppp chap password 0 password
 ppp pap sent-username username password 0 password
 ppp ipcp address required
 ppp link reorders
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer120 overload
ip forward-protocol nd
i
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!

Thanks,

Reuven

Hello Reuven

leave the ubr at the max value, it has no real bearing anyway as it just guarantees the minimum amount of bandwidth in case of congestion.

Who is your service provider ? In case of Ethernet Packet Transfer Mode (PTM), you will need to check with your ISP if they expect  dot1q configuration on your router. I can check for you if you tell me who your ISP is...

Shalom

Hello,

The internet provider is "Bezeq International".

The DSL infrastructure provider is Bezeq.

However I am not completely sure PTM is really needed.

In my consumer router delivered by them D-Link model DSL6740U, with embedded DSL modem, I didn't find any PTM configuration.

Thanks,

Reuven

Reuven,

PTM is a much newer technology, since you have the NIM-VAB-A module in your router, I can see that they recommend using it. For that, you have to configure VDSL. I am not sure about the exact parameters, but Bezeq should be able to tell you on which line you need to configure the single wire pair, and whether bonding should be in auto mode or in VDSL mode.

The link below shows the basic configuration for the VDSL controller.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/NIM/software/configuration/guide/vdsl2-and-adsl2-nim.html#concept_53A815DABB0E4F58B6348E4C04A13B92

Your parameters should be configured on the Ethernet interface. I am copying and pasting the relevant info from the document mentioned above:

--> If the trained mode is VDSL2 or VDSL2+, the TC mode should be in Packet Transfer Mode (PTM). In this case, the PTM Ethernet interface is in the up state. All other upper layer parameters such as PPP, IP, and so on should be configured under the Ethernet interface. If the trained mode is ADSL, ADSL2, or ADSL2+, the TC mode should be ATM and all the upper layer parameters should be configured under the ATM Permanent Virtual Circuit (PVC). If you change the operating mode between ADSL and VDSL, you need not to reboot the router in order to activate the corresponding Ethernet or ATM interfaces. In case of PTM mode, check with your ISP if they are expecting Dot1q tag configuration on the CPE. ISP should provide Dot1q tag value.

Router(config)#interface Ethernet0.835

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1Q 835

Router(config-subif)#pppoe-client dial-pool-member 1

I hope that doesn't get too complicated...in fact, it is pretty easy to configure.

Wow, Thank you so much!

As I know and checked farther dot1.Q is not needed (or not spurted) by Bezeq.

But I will double confirm it with them.

Will it be possible please to ask you for help with the associated code for assigning the router interface (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) to the DSL controller and dial up configuration?

Thanks,

Reuven

Hello Reuven,

here is an example for the configuration of the VDSL controller and subsequently the GigabitEthernet subinterface. Both VDSL controller configurations have two options, depending on the requirements of your provider. Let me know if you get this to work:

router#configure terminal
router(config)# controller vdsl 0/1/0
router(config-controller)# line-mode single-wire line 0
router(config-controller)# exit

or

router(config-controller)# line-mode single-wire line 1 profile 30a

and

router(config)# operating mode auto
router(config-controller)# line-mode bonding

or

router(config)# operating mode vdsl2
router(config-controller)# line-mode bonding

then

Router(config)#interface GigabitEthernet0.835

Hello,

Thank you very much for the Code!

Using the command: 'show controller vdsl 0/1/0'

I was able to confirm the operation mode of the DSL modem as blow:

Modem Status:           TC Sync (Showtime!)
DSL Config Mode:        AUTO
Trained Mode:           G.993.2 (VDSL2) Profile 17a

TC Mode:                PTM
Selftest Result:        0x00
DELT configuration:     disabled
DELT state:             not running

Profile 17a is only on single-wire line 0.

So it looks that in auto mode the DSL modem is able to sync on the required operational mode successfully.

however, when I tried the code for Ethernet layer, I got the following system inputs:

system didn't recognize the command: 'pppoe-client dial-pool-member 1'

and accepted only the command: 'pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1'

I hope this is the same.

but when entered the above command, I got the following system message:

'%Encapsulation must be dot1q or isl to configure pppoe-client on a sub-interface.'

Then I used the command for the encapsulation as you copied originally from the manual:

'encapsulation dot1Q 835'

and the I got the following system message:

'If the interface doesn't support baby giant frames
maximum mtu of the interface has to be reduced by 4
bytes on both sides of the connection to properly
transmit or receive large packets. Please refer to
documentation on configuring IEEE 802.1Q vLANs.'

when when finished all, the Dialer interface doesn't get IP address from ISP. meaning, no logical connection yet.

I am wondering if instead of sub interface 'GigabitEthernet0.835'

I should use the logical interface that appears together with the DSL modem:

'Ethernet0/1/0'?

The three physical Ethernet interfaces in the router are:

GigabitEthernet0/0/0

GigabitEthernet0/0/1

GigabitEthernet0        (MGMT Interface)

Thanks,

Reuven

Reuven,

looks like you are almost there. The example I gave was just a sample config, seems in your case you need to configure the Ethernet0/1/0:

Router(config)#interface Ethernet0/1/0

Since your provider doesn't require dot1q (or ISL), you don't need a subinterface on the Ethernet.

Thanks!

Do I need under the Ethernet interface 'Ethernet0/1/0' to add the statement:

'pppoe enable group global'?

Thanks,

Reuven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card