cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR829 GPS question, how to get NMEA stream to Switchports?

Shaun Hendricks
Level 1
Level 1

I have activated the GPS stream on the 829 and can internally reverse telnet to it while in on the console.  However, connected to one of the Ethernet ports, I cannot create an active telnet (or other session type) to the port (2007 for TTY, though I tried 3007 for IP and no dice) when using Ethernet.

Doesn't it behave like a GPS server at this point?  Do I somehow need to connect TTY line 7 to GigE1-4 ports?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid, obvious question but NONE of the documentation actually addresses using the GPS (beyond the UDP discussion thread, and my attempt to get this same question answered on the Wireless Mobility forum) on the Ethernet lines with the NMEA set to IP.

I know I probably missed something, somewhere in the documentation but any help would be greatly appreciated.  I haven't been able to find any examples of the stream actually being put into service off the switchports.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

to be honest I have only ever heard of reverse Telnet in combination with the 829 when it comes to reverse telnet to the wlan ap module, the guest OS, or to access 4G AT commands.

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to accomplish ? 

Thank you for your response.

I'm trying to use a PC plugged into the Ethernet Ports and retrieve the NMEA data stream.  I can use an application like GPS Gate to retrieve the stream but I need to verify it's there to begin with.

The PC can access the cellular route of the 829 just fine.  Internally from the command port I can reverse telnet and read the stream on 2007 (though I can't break into the stream once it's running.  I have to reboot the router to get it to stop.)

I can't access the stream at all from the Ethernet ports.  It's supposedly running via IP, but using the Router's internal IP and a port call of x.x.x.x:2007 doesn't get me the stream, in fact, no terminal I have can connect to the stream, it just times out.

So, clearly I have something either incorrectly configured or not configured to send the stream to the Ethernet ports or something else I'm not thinking of.

Again, I appreciate the input.

Hello,

the problem might be that the Ethernet ports are Layer 2 only ports...

What parameters do you need on the PC to connect to the stream ?

My hope was to let GPS Gate see the GPS Stream over the IP connection.  The software is very flexible for input.  I can use a standard GPS stream from a USB, UDP type, etc.  I could probably just have it pay attention to the stream coming off the USB command port if I wanted.  I was hoping that it would just act as an IP centric GPS server that GPS Gate could connect right up to and use.

I'm fairly certain I can make GPS Gate dance to whatever tune the ISR829 wants to play, but if it can't play out of the Ethernet ports then I'm probably going to have to find some way to get the stream out of the serial ports, however that's its own question.  I would really like to NOT have to connect up to the command port to get the stream.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card