cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep getting intermittent certificate errors

larrywa01
Level 1
Level 1

have an RV130W router, about 2.5 years old, last firmware update.

The main internet signal is passed through from my cable modem that is setup as passthrough.

Multiple times a day, I will hit various web pages and the page will tell me there is either a certificate error or a certificate problem. This happens on multiple machines, so it's not a machine issue. Also, if I take the cisco router out of the network and plug directly into the cable modem, I don't see these problems.

I do still see the problems even if I'm connected via hardwire to the Cisco router.

Any ideas on what I can check here?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

"the page will tell me there is either a certificate error or a certificate problem"

this is phrased incorrectly, it is your browser that gives you this message, not the web-page retrieved from the server.

check if you are using the same nameserver when using the Cisco as when using the connection direct to the modem

check your time-sync when using the cisco router

in your browser open the certificate details and look for hints why this is seen as a problem.

Hello,

what browser (Chrome, IE) are you using, and do your machines have any security software running (and if so, which) ?

I use all browser types, Chrome, Edge, Firefox. Once I see that error in one browser, it shows in all browsers.

We use Windows Defender for anti-virus and log in to Azure Active Directory for authentication.

Thanks!

Hi,

The issue is most probably due to time/clock mismatch. Please check time/clock on your all networking devices. Due to time/clock mismatch certificate is not getting authenticated by the web server.

Recommendation is that time/clock should be same and real-time in the network.

Further you can configure a NTP server in your network to avoid the issue.

Spooster IT Services Team
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: