Views
Helpful
Replies

Keeping up a 857 EZVPN

OliverDarvall
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

We have a VPN using 857 and 877 routers as remote connecting in to a 2800 EZVPN Server.

The VPN is working fine. However, the VPN connections sometimes (after a few hours/days) seem to "freeze". A "show crypt sess" shows the connections as Up/Active, but you can not ping antyhing from remote to server, or visa versa, nor does any traffic flow. I then added a "isakmp keep-alive" on the 2800, which improved the situation a bit, but not as much as I hoped.

On the 877 I then implemented a IP SLA, with Object Tracking and then use a Event Manager to just issue a "clear crypto session" . This solved the problem.

However, what do I do on the 857 ? It does not support Object Tracking or the Event Manager. Is there any other mechanism to monitor and reset these frozen/stale VPN connections automatically ?

Thanks !

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using latest IOS ?

Connections should never go in a forzen state and require clear to restart. That is an IOS bug.

No, not quite. We have a mixture of versions :

12.4.(15)T7

12.4.(15)T9

12.4.(15)T10

12.4.(15)T15

The routers are geographically distributed, so updateing all could be a challenge.

Are you aware of issues with those versions ?

T17 is the last. Update one and check with it.

Will do, but I assume thus that there are now real alternatives to IP SLA + Object Tracking + Event Manager ?

A sane network shouldn't need belt and suspenders to work well. After update if still trouble, please contact the TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card