Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 MPLS on Nexus 7000 (local switching)

ahmedgaily
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a 7k nexus playing a PE role and i have customer  have 2 sites (CEs) connected to the same PE different ports and he asking for l2 connectivity. all port configure as l3 port (no switchport).

I'm trying to configure xconnect command but i receive below error (local switching not supported).

bridge domain solution's not prefer because its limited as VLAN (4096).

your support please.

12 Replies 12

ahmedgaily
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you don't want to use bridge-domain, you don't have a lot of choices.
Have you tried l2vpn?
First of all, the issue you're getting is when you do what type of config?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco Molino and thanks for your reply.
Sorry but I’m asking for l2 VPN solution.
I getting this error when I trying Ethernet over MPLS configuration (Xconnect configuration)

Please find configuration below:

interface Ethernet2/1
  no switchport
!
interface Ethernet2/1.2
  encapsulation dot1q 2
!
interface Ethernet2/2.2
  encapsulation dot1q 2
!
l2vpn xconnect context cust-1
  member Ethernet2/1.2
  member Ethernet2/2.2
error local switching not supported

Yeah I understand that you want L2VPN because you don't want to use EVC.

Now based on the documentation, it seems quite straight forward:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/mpls/configuration/guide/mpls_cg/mp_l2vpn_evc.html

I've done too much l2vpn on Nexus platform.

Can you adapt your config based on the Cisco doc and let us know?

I'll try to test it in lab but not before tomorrow.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Please note that the 2 customer sites in same PE not different PE

Ok that part I understood. Now you make me confused. You want to share a L2 between the 2 PE or between a P and PE?

Thanks
Francesco

Sorry for been confused,

I want to provide my 2 customer sites (CEs) terminated at same PE with l2 connectivity.

Ok you want a L2 connectivity between 2 CEs?
If so, why not doing the L2VPN directly on CEs? Are you managing CEs?

Thanks
Francesco

we're service provider, we aren't managing CEs.

Have you tried doing the config based on Cisco doc?

I don’t have any Nexus 7k in lab to do some tests and as I said, I’ve not done too much l2vpn with Nexus models.

When you’re applying configs based on doc, do you have any errors?

Thanks
Francesco

I tried below config:

interface Ethernet2/1
  no switchport
!
interface Ethernet2/1.2
  encapsulation dot1q 2
!

interface Ethernet2/2
  no switchport
!
interface Ethernet2/2.2
  encapsulation dot1q 2
!
l2vpn xconnect context cust-1
  member Ethernet2/1.2
  member Ethernet2/2.2

!

And i get this error:
error local switching not supported

Hi

The config should be as per the doc:

l2vpn xconnect context foo
member Ethernet2/1.30
member Pseudowire100

And that make sense because you have your interface when the L2 is tagged and the other interface that's building a xconnect to the other PE.

Have you tried that?

What you're trying to configure is to have 2 local interfaces and that couldn't work.

As you want a L2VPN from PE1 to PE2 then you will need to create that L2VPN on both PE.

Now on your specific case, you only 1 PE then you won't be able to build a xconnect locally. 

Does your Nexus (PE) has multiple vdc or only one? If multiple vdc, does both CE are in the same vdc?

How are you connected to CE? I mean you said that you're SP but not managing CE. If these CEs are the same customer and they're managing CE routers, why they don't do the xconnect on their site?

By asking how you're connected, is it more to see if you have a direct L3 interface or is it a L2 and L3 over it? In that case, you would maybe consider Q-in-Q?

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card