Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 VPN together with VLAN Bridging

Joe Bee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I need to establish a L2 VPN over a L3 Network.
The Goal is, to span an existing VLAN from a on PE Router to the other.
The gateway of this VLAN is also the PE Router (no CE Router). See picture.

Unbenannt.png
I currently can only simulate it with GNS3 and the virtual CSR Routern.
Final Hardware see picture
I have already tried an xconnect on the PE's and then bridging this interface with no luck.
Any ideas how I can achieve this task?

4 Replies 4

rais
Level 7
Level 7

If your servers support vtep you can vxlan.

HTH.

No they don't support vxlan. They are not even real severs. They often have a limit IP Stac (Industrial machines for example)

If you already have the MPLS portion configured then adding in a xconnect requires little additional config, I have done many times with the ME platform. The below guide may help

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/mpls/b_166_mpls_9400_cg/b_166_mpls_9400_cg_chapter_011.pdf

Yes the xconnect itself works fine.

But my problem is, that my PE and CE Router functionality in on the same devices.

xconnect always ends at an physical interface. At least what I have testet. I need a solution where the xconnect ends at a vlan.

And this vlan also need to have an interface vlan at one side of the tunnel.

So I tried bridging without success.

A rather crude way would be, to loop the xonnect end port back to the PE itself. But honestly, I don't like that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: