cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TP tunnel over WAN

pankaj_cisco111
Level 1
Level 1

I got 2 catalyst 4507 switches connecting over MPLS backbone on layer3 interface (no switcport used on gig port). OSPF is extending routes. Now I want to extend vlan and vtp information from one switch to another through mpls link. I checked l2tp configuration option with XCONNECT protocol. However it can only support mpls protocol. Please suggest.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to extend VLAN and VTPinfo from one site to another, then you need to use EoMPLS.  But you as the customer do not have to configure MPLS and XCONNECT.  Since the provider already runs MPLS, they will configure XCONNECT on their side of the connections.  On you site you just need to trunk the link with dot1q.

HTH

Reza

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_25_seg_seg1/configuration/guide/swmpls.pdf

I think you will find that is very unlikely that an MPLS SP will configure anything different from their standard, just because the customer needs it.

And that 4500 switches doesn't support tunnels over WAN, for that a true router is needed.

So, better to stick with normal routing and leave VLAN confined to each site, as good practice reccomends.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card