Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TPv3 point to multipoint scenario

imran.exte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to build point to multi-point L2TPv3 pseudo-wire tunnel across WAN. I have read documents that it works only P2P however is there a way to achieve the same as it will traverse across the GRE tunnels or can we build two separate xconnects configured with same vlan from single router going to 2 different destination router like primary & secondary.  Or is there any other solution to achieve this topology.

Highly appreciate all responses.

Regards,

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can only do point to point.

I have done this before by using multiple xconnects and multiple router interfaces.  You can not xconnect one interface more than once.  You need to use multiple interfaces (or multiple routers ...).

foo.bk001
Level 1
Level 1

From my research L2TPV3 is for P2P only, but there are a few examples I have seen that mentioned P2MP, but using MPLS encapsulation.

For my scenario, my network comprises of a flat network.spread over 11 platforms at sea, and the equipment (PLC) are legacy, and does not support change of IP addressing. I managed to connect them all using "bridge-group" configuration. Not elegant, but it works.

Hi Foo.

I am also facing the same scenario, multiple layer 2 connection to be integrated. Just want to ask you, what router are you using? Do Cisco IR829 can meet the purpose?

You can use any Cisco router. I use the IR829 as it is rated EX zone 1 for hazardous location. I would prefer to use other routers, as the IR829 has very limited port capacity.

Hi Foo.

Thanks for the response. I have questions:

1. How many ports at the router that you used to connect for 11 platform?

2. How many xconnect session per router?

Thank You

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card