Helpful
Replies

l2tpv3 statefull or stateless

mschneid
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

just a generic question 

L2TPv3 is it statefull or stateless - from an IOS router perspective like IR829 ?

thx and regards

ms

27 Replies 27

We need the device to fullfill the "EN 50155" (german/europe railroad standard) standards and we need a tempreture rage from something like -40° to 60°.

The MR72 meets those temperature specifications (search for the word "temperature"):

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR72.pdf

Yes, you are right, maybe this is an option fpr us.

Can you verifiy if the MR72 has the EN 50155 certification?

Some of the Cisco APs does have it but it's not listed on the offical data sheet.

I have no idea.  Have you got a Cisco partner you can reach out to find out?

Otherwise I will ask the Meraki people on my continent.  :-)

We have a Cisco partner but the partner will go back to Cisco anyways :-)

So I can reach out to our Cisco Account Manager and our pre sales engineers to verify this.

I thank you very much for this open and very helpfull discussion with some new ideas here!

Just for the hell of it, I have initiated a query for you.

I know you are planning on Vodafone providing the captive portal. I have had excellent experiences using Splash Access with Meraki.  So if the Vodafone solution doesn't work out, have a think about using them.

https://www.splashaccess.com/

Thank you very much.

We don't plan to use Vodafone for the captive portal, we have to use them because of some special german legal things.

So it's not about the technologie :-)

Hi Philip and Stefan

i am glad you picked up the discusion - and your right on the spot .

Reading thru your conversation ...

again the question why not use the AP in standalone mode and route the public wlan directly to and off the vodafone Network

another question for vodafone --why do they need to Nat the traffic ?? what is the Network structure at their end ? is it LNS style ?

i will talk to another SP customer who has done a 4G Termination ....

If you do L2TP on the IR829 it does not have to be stateless - it can be stateful.  This is because the L2TP will be done using the outside IP address of the router.  The L2TP will be not passing through NAT.

Yes, on our side, but it is required by vodafone (cause they say it's much more easy with less effort for many tunnels) as of now.

I need to discuss this with them.

On the IR829 you would create a class like this:

pseudowire-class pw-xxx
  encapsulation l2tpv3
  protocol l2tpv3 xxx
  ip local interface Cellular0

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.123
encapsulation dot1q 123
xconnect a.b.c.d 123 encapsulation l2tpv3 pw-class pw-xxx

Bummer, this has to come back to a controller first.

This would probably force you to use a WLC per tram (like a 2504).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card