cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lab Project issue - Internet access from PC through live cisco router and switch

Opreccfl76
Level 1
Level 1

lab_screenshot.PNG

I'm working on one of Keith Barker's Cisco labs from Youtube. The goal of the lab is to get your Cisco lab router and switch to be able to access the internet on your home network. Btw.. I'm using a 4321 router and 3560X switch. So yes, they both can reach the live internet. That part of the lab is successful.

My issue: The laptop that is plugged into one of the ports on the lab switch does not have internet access. The switch SVI is 172.16.1.200 and the PC laptop is .5. The gateway on the PC is .200, the switch SVI. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

There is OSPF running in between the router and the switch. The router is advertising it's default route into the OSPF process. There's also a one-to-one NAT statement NATng the switch SVI (172.16.1.200) to an unused IP (192.168.1.250) in my home LAN. This is to allow my PC on my home LAN to telnet into the cisco lab network.

Here is the ACL and NAT statement: access-list 1 permit 172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255 | ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.200 192.168.1.250

My question is what else do i need to configure to get the PC to route out to the internet?
A part of me is thinking to add another router behind the switch and inject that subnet into the OSPF process.

This is not a production environment and so all the configs are attached.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you need to add the line below to your router:

ip nat inside source list 1 interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1 overload

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin L
VIP
VIP

can laptop ping switch and router ?
looks like Gig0/1 on switch is missing sw mode access. that is connection to router , right?

I've configured port g0/1 as an access port now. Yes, the PC can ping both. Even the router egress interface, 192.168.1.100 but not 192.168.1.1. Weird.

There's also a NAT statement NATng the switch SVI (172.16.1.200) to an unused IP (192.168.1.250) in my home LAN. I've since added this in the original post.

Hello,

not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you need to add the line below to your router:

ip nat inside source list 1 interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1 overload

Thank you! This solved my problem.

You know.. in the lab this is the original nat statement. But it was removed to add in the new statement to statically nat my home pc (192.168.1.x) into the lab network (172.16.1.x) to manage over the network instead of a console cable.

I should've known better to add it back in! This was my next thought which was reaffirmed as soon as I read your reply.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card