cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit Telnet Access

Pnun
Level 1
Level 1

I created a user account on my 1760 with a privilege level of 0. However, with this user account I can still telnet into the router and make config changes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Rob

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

Some additional details would help us understand your situation better. You created a user account on the 1760 is a good start. But how do you authenticate on that router? Is it simple line authentication, is it aaa authentication with local authentication, or is it aaa authentication with an ACS server?

And how do you authenticate/control access to privilege mode? Is it local on the router, or is it via aaa with local control, or is it via aaa with an ACS server?

After you telnet into the 1760 do you then enter the enable command? And do you get prompted for the enable password? And do you input the correct enable password?

When we know these things we may be closer to an answer for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your response Rick. I since have got it working. I just had to setup an "enable" password. Users can dialup to the router (local authentication), establish a PPP connection and access network resources. If the users establish a telnet session to the router, they will not be able to do anything without the enable password.

Thanks again,

Rob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card